Second hard drive in early 2008 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timotay89, Feb 22, 2012.

1. timotay89 macrumors regular

So, I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, I want to give it a shot. I have searched the forums (and elsewhere on the web) so I'm either bad at searching (possible) or no luck answering my specific question.

I have an early 2008 15" MBP (last model before unibody). I've replaced the RAM before, but I want to install a second hard drive in place of the CD drive.

I don't want a SSD, just another storage spot inside my laptop. I already use 3 (yes, total of 5TB) external drives, but I want to have more stuff on my laptop for when I need it. I'm looking for maybe a 500 GB drive, but if it has to be less that's fine.

My question is: is it possible to switch out the CD drive and stick in a new hard drive, and if it is, how do I do it? I've only been able to find guides on either replacing the original drive (which I'll do if I have to, but I'd rather not) or adding a second hard drive to the unibody MBPs (which mine is not).

Thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If I remember rightly, it is possible to do it, you need to look up MBP 2008 optibay, or MBP IDE optibay I think, and that should give you what you need. You won't be able to put the drives in a RAID0 or anything like that (as it's IDE and SATA connections) so you'll just have to live with having 2 hard drives show up on your machine.

3. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I have a few more questions (I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I'm trying to learn, sorry). Thank you for the information so far though. I don't mind about having two drives on my desktop, as long as I have space to hold stuff on the laptop.

If I found the right info online, I believe my laptop (pre-unibody 15" MBP) needs a 9.5mm hard drive if it's going to replace the CD drive.

Two things:

1. What type of connection does the new drive have to be?

2. Does it matter if I get a generic optibay holding thing for the drive or does it need to be specific to my type of laptop?

I found some generic ones, but I don't want to have to mess around with the casing or whatever, I just want to go in, take out the CD drive, replace it with the new hard drive, and be done with it. Or take it somewhere and have them install it for me.

Thanks again!

4. MatP macrumors newbie

It has to be a specific to the pre-unibody 15" MBP. They need a to have a converter built in to convert SATA to the odd connection the cd drives uses. Here is one that would work -Link

I saw a cheaper one that would work the other day but don't remember what it was.

5. kuerbo619 macrumors newbie

i used one of these. great luck so far. you also can't beat the price.