Second Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesoundgear, Aug 13, 2012.

1. applesoundgear macrumors member

Today I received more port in the mail that replaces the Optical Drive for a second hard drive. I recently bought a Samsung 830 SSD that is in my main drive port. My 750gb Momentus XT hard drive is in the optical port.

All of my applications are installed on my SSD and on my HDD.

First question: am I able to delete my applications off the HDD if I'm just running them on my SSD?

Second: If I'm accessing anything in Finder that's in the HDD, finder rainbow wheels for a good 20-30 seconds. If I stay in the HDD folder it will continue doing so. I tried setting my "Home" setup as my user on that drive but that caused Finder (and other apps running) to rainbow wheel. How do I fix this?

EDIT
    Third: I can't actually log into my main account (the one with the "Home" from my HDD linked) because it says an error is occurring.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why dont you clean install the OS to the SSD. Copy any data/files needed from the HDD to the SSD. Format the HDD then move the files back to the HDD off of the SSD.

Leave the SSD for OS/Apps and the HDD for data.

3. applesoundgear thread starter macrumors member

That's basically what I did. I did about 4 hours of troubleshooting and finally solved it.

Now the problem is that I can't copy any data I have backed up on an External onto either my SSD or my HDD.

I keep getting this message:
    "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."

Google isn't helping

4. Rajpdx macrumors regular

What machine are you doing this on? It may be an issue because the HDD is a Sata III drive and the optical bay is having trouble with it - it's a well-known issue with 2011 MacBook Pros. I've seen reports of it being a problem with some 2012s as well and your symptoms are consistent with it. Do you have a SATA II drive you can try in place of the Momentus? Perhaps the one that came with the machine?

5. applesoundgear thread starter macrumors member

It's a 2012 13 inch model.

I thought it might be the fact that the HDD is Sata III but I'm having basically the same issue with it when I use it through a USB 3 to data cable.