Second Hard drive not recognized.

jonathanmf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Ga
So I have an a1278 Macbook pro from 2012 and i decided i was going to take out the superdrive. I did the install and it all went smoothly. Although, when i booted the computer, it does not show the second hard drive in the disk management app. I know the drive works, and the superdrive worked beforehand. Is there any way that i can force it to check for the new hard drive?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Did you format the drive on a USB cable before putting it in?

jonathanmf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Ga
I dont have a sata to usb cable, althoght the drive is currently formatted as a HFS+ journaling drive

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
That's good. If it's mechanical can you hear it spinning up? If it's not showing the connector may not be seated correctly.

jonathanmf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Ga
It is mechanical, although i dont hear it spinning. How do you mean? As in the ribbon cable?

jonathanmf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Ga
Ill check on that tomorrow, other than that, is there anything that i can try if that doesnt work?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ill check on that tomorrow, other than that, is there anything that i can try if that doesnt work?
Best case the cables loose worst case it's damaged. I would take the bottom off reseat the cable and hit the power button to see if the drive spins up.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you see the second drive in System Information?
Check under the SATA tab. You should see both SATA drives listed there.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
so the cable was attached correctly, but the drive still will not show up
Then faulty cable, faulty adapter or faulty drive, need to swap bits to work out which. Rule the drive out by moving it to the main drive bay and booting off an external drive or off a bootable USB key