Second Hard drive sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kristoffers4, Jul 26, 2011.

1. kristoffers4 macrumors member

kristoffers4

Hi,

I have a 2011 MBP with in the hard drive bay an 120GB SSD and in the Optical bay an optibay with my original 500GB HDD. There's not much on the HDD only movies and tv shows so I would like to be able to put the disk in sleep mode, or unmount it. I've done some research and I found that the only way is to use a script. How do you do this? I can't seem to do that, any explanation would be appreciated. Now I've found something else, but it doesn't work for me, someone found a way to sleep the hdd when not used. But every time my hdd goes to sleep, it will wake up a few minutes later, even when I don't do anything at all... Does anyone have a better idea? It would be so nice to have a program or something in the mac menubar where you can toggle sleep mode for the second hdd, does this exist?

PS I'm using OS X Lion
    Thanks in advance!

2. kristoffers4 thread starter macrumors member

kristoffers4

3. G-Money macrumors member

Is it possible that you missed the part about turning off hard-drive indexing in that post you mentioned?

It says your HDD will wake up within 5 minutes if you don't turn that off.

By the way - thanks for pointing this out to me, that should be a great battery saver for my set-up as well.

4. kristoffers4 thread starter macrumors member

kristoffers4

Nope, indexing is turned off... I'd find it very useful if I could just unmount the disk or something...