Second HDD Clicking Sound

applesoundgear

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I finally got my second HDD in my hard drive caddy to work (in the optical port). The problem is that it now makes this really slight, almost-a-click sound every couple seconds and occasionally makes a very very slight scratch/click sound. The HDD is properly secured in and I found reports of this elsewhere online but now solution.

I'm not sure how to stop/prevent/quiet this noise.

Any suggestions?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I finally got my second HDD in my hard drive caddy to work (in the optical port). The problem is that it now makes this really slight, almost-a-click sound every couple seconds and occasionally makes a very very slight scratch/click sound. The HDD is properly secured in and I found reports of this elsewhere online but now solution.

I'm not sure how to stop/prevent/quiet this noise.

Any suggestions?
back it up then replace it. Its a matter of time before the spindle/pin dies, which is the clicking sound.

applesoundgear

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
The drive is only about 3 years old so I don't know for sure if it's giving out. It's a Seagate and I read elsewhere that Seagate's drives are more audible when spinning up or down. The stock Hitachi one's are supposed to be much quieter so I'm copying everything over the that (same size) and will test it out when it's done.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
The drive is only about 3 years old so I don't know for sure if it's giving out. It's a Seagate and I read elsewhere that Seagate's drives are more audible when spinning up or down. The stock Hitachi one's are supposed to be much quieter so I'm copying everything over the that (same size) and will test it out when it's done.
Age doesnt matter, clicking is a sign of a failing HDD

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
The scratching noise is your HDD's death rattle. Back up its contents and replace it before it's too late.