Second hdd on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Husky1992, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

Hi
    I just installed a ssd on my mbp 13'' and placed the original hdd with a caddy on the superdrive slot. Where should I see this second hdd? in finder I can't see it

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If that is literally all you have done then if you have booted up them the Macintosh HD should be visible in Finder as normal.

You will likely need to run Disk Utility to format the SSD ready for use, then you can migrate your OS and Apps to it, then select it as the boot disk and boot off the SSD.

Once that is done you can remove your Apps and OS from the HDD and point your media (iTunes, iPhoto) at the HDD and you should be good to go...

Make sure you have at least 1 backup before you start...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You should see it either on your desktop (depending on your Finder preferences), or Finder window.

4. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

I did a clean install on the ssd that I placed where the hdd was previously. Then I placed the hdd(with the functioning OS and all my files) in the SuperDrive slot with a caddy. The problem is that I can't see this hdd nor in finder>devices nor in desktop. Maybe it's the the caddy that is broken.
    Before I buy a new caddy, is there something I can do to force the system (now running on the new ssd) to search for the hdd placed in the caddy?
    As I said the hdd has the old running OS on, but I think it should show anyways as a storage device.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Does Disk Utility show it? Fire up Disk Utility and post a screenshot, if it isn't showing I would reseat the SATA cables and reseat the HDD within the internal caddy.

When you startup, the drive should be visible to Disk Utility even if it apparantly has no mountable volumes.

6. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

disk utility does not show anything. before opening again the mbp I'd like to know how to deal with a screw (circled in red).
    When I went to put everything back together that screw caught on the black cable just underneath and as I would fasten the screw it would bring that black cable down, there is no space between the hole and that cable. I ruined a bit that cable trying to get the screw underneath it.
    Is there a technique to avoid damages to that cable?

[​IMG]

----------

btw what is a good caddy I could buy? not chinese garbage

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I used a Titan brand caddy.

Pretty sure I disconnected the cable from the other, logic board, end and then that enabled me to lift the cable, angle it up and get the screw in underneath - but that is from memory nearly a year ago....

8. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

yeah the problem is that the screw is VERY near where the cable begins and that means I'd need to do a VERY TIGHT bend to it just where it starts, it's not ideal for it

9. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

the hdd was not properly installed in the caddy thus the mac wouldn't recognize it.. now it's all functioning properly

btw is this caddy-hdd ALWAYS under power? I'm afraid of battery drain