Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
So I have just received my brand new 2.4 GHz Late 2011 15" MBP, which I am extremely happy with so far. The only concern I have left is storage at the moment. I was planning to do an SSD + HDD (optibay) setup before, but once I started up the MacBook I couldn't stand the drive noise of the stock 5400RPM HDD (probably because I came from an MBA). I immediately took it out and replaced it with my 256GB M4.. Problem solved, for now. Eventually I know it's inevitable that I will need more storage, primarily to accommodate movie projects, Windows and a few games.

So, would you guys think there's an even more quiet HDD than Apple's stock HDD? Or should I go with a relatively cheap previous generation SSD next to my blazing fast M4?

(I have already found that a previous gen 180GB SSD ≈ 1TB HDD in terms of pricing.)

Thanks in advance. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went the double SSD option with the optibay. For me having no hard drives was a requirement - I have two kids who may jostle the laptop while its on. My storage needs weren't great because I own a NAS that stores my documents and pictures that I don't need

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Unfortunately any HDD that you buy will likely make noise. I got sick of hearing the noise from my MBP and upgraded to an SSD. Though i mainly did it for speed. If you need to expand your storage by alot, like 1TB then HDD may be the option for you. If you dont move your MBP around alot, you seldom hear it. And because you already have your OS and applications running off your SSD, the only time the HDD will make any noise is when your transferring files or opening files from that location. Even then, if your opening a game or movie, your fan is likely to surpass the noise of the HDD.

Now if your looking to expand your storage by a little like 120-256Gb, then SSD might be a better fit. It obviously will load your files faster and make no noise whatsoever. The only downside as you exampled, is the price. They are still moderately expensive. I think it comes down to how much your willing to spend.

jbjones85

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
I have a SSD in the main bay and a HDD in the optibay but i'm highly considering going to a dual SSD setup once I get some type of NAS setup. I really like the speed/silence/coolness (temp) that the SSD offers. Plus the additional battery life if a nice bonus.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
And because you already have your OS and applications running off your SSD, the only time the HDD will make any noise is when your transferring files or opening files from that location.

Good point, but I've read somewhere the drive does rev up when performing certain actions, such as a spotlight search (which I use quite often to open an application). Is this true? Because I think I'd get even more annoyed with the HDD revving up and down all the time.

@maflynn, jbjones85
The NAS thing is a really good idea, although I think this would add rather substantially to the cost which makes it much less feasible for me.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Last edited:

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
HDD unless you have the money to afford a good sized SSD. I just picked up a 160GB Intel SSD for $250 but I use that as my OS/Apps drive and then the 750GB HDD as the main drive. This is my music computer and the sound from the HDD has yet to bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.