Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys,
I just got my first iPad before I thought about what I was going to do with it :D

You might as well tell me what I think I already know,
that you have to purchase another dev certificate for another device to
be able to test code on the actual hardware?

I wish I'd gotten the new one !

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Not so?

A dev certificate is good for 100 idevices. I personally used mine on 9 different devices. (4 3GSs, 3 4Ss, a 4th gen iPod Touch, and a 2nd gen iPad.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is that even necessary? Won't Xcode automatically handle it when you open the organizer with the device plugged in? (I haven't installed any certificates since last October when everyone bought 4Ss, so it's very possible I'm not properly remembering.)

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Perhaps that is possible. I'm not sure because I've just gone and added it. Something you have to do when dealing with remote beta testers.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Some part of Xcode opened up when I plugged it into the Mac for the first time.
I couldn't complete the Provisioning of that device until I logged on to agree to latest T&Cs.
It's going fine now :)
I wish I hadn't hardcoded so many screen points in my apps...

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
So, your topic is resolved? :)
Basically, if people read this.
A 1 person or single company account can take up to 100 registered devices. (and each provisioning profile can handle seperate groups of devices).
The Enterprise account can distribute for alot more, for big companies like Coca-Cola or whatever, so they can setup their own App-Store.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
That issue is resolved :)

There is another question arisen from it though!

There is a selection under the Settings menu called "Provisioning".
It tells you when the profile expires, and there is also a button to remove the profile.
Hooray for Captain Obvious, you all likely know this ;)

The expiration dates on the two devices are different.
The latest iPad profile says it expires a year from the date I installed it.
I thought you had to pay $99 a year?
The expiration date on the iPad profile is a few months after my iPhone
which was set up close to the time I registered as a developer,
but it appears the iPad will expire several months after my year is up.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
You will be able to run the app's you installed as long the provisioning is valid, but when your account expires, you can't renew the provisioning, so you won't be able to start your app anymore once the prov file expires :) So if you don't want to cough up the 99$ again, you can build day before it expires, and enjoy it another year (It used to be like that though, not sure now).

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
You will be able to run the app's you installed as long the provisioning is valid, but when your account expires, you can't renew the provisioning, so you won't be able to start your app anymore once the prov file expires :) So if you don't want to cough up the 99$ again, you can build day before it expires, and enjoy it another year (It used to be like that though, not sure now).

Just a quick question: Once you've built your app - and published it to the store. Do you have to keep paying the $99 per year to keep it in the store?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Just a quick question: Once you've built your app - and published it to the store. Do you have to keep paying the $99 per year to keep it in the store?

Yep, no need to rebuild it with new provisioning, but if you don't pay your 99$ on time, it just get's pulled, but once you pay again, easy to put it online again I think :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.