Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
haha you sure you wanna do that?? loose access to your superdrive (in the sense that its external).

it would be nice to have though, but if your just going to have the OS on the SSD then why dont you just settle for a cheaper 32gb/16gb one??

kremer4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Fairfax, VA
haha you sure you wanna do that?? loose access to your superdrive (in the sense that its external).

it would be nice to have though, but if your just going to have the OS on the SSD then why dont you just settle for a cheaper 32gb/16gb one??

I'd wanna keep my iphoto gallery (17GB right now, I have 2 kids:)) on the SSD. I would use the second drive for bootcamp (Vista x64, 120GB paritition) and the rest an extra partition for Leopard.

So far I have never used the CD drive outside of my house so I don't think that would be an issue. Supposedly this also shaves a 1/4 lb of the laptop weight.

Hmm, I might try it

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I'd wanna keep my iphoto gallery (17GB right now, I have 2 kids:)) on the SSD. I would use the second drive for bootcamp (Vista x64, 120GB paritition) and the rest an extra partition for Leopard.

So far I have never used the CD drive outside of my house so I don't think that would be an issue. Hmm, I might try it.

Will bootcamp even install on a second drive? If you dont use your SD, and want more space go for it.

Me personally, I dont think its worth the money. Not to mention most times Im not mobile, so I just hook up the 3TB externals ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

So far I have never used the CD drive outside of my house so I don't think that would be an issue. Supposed this also shaves a 1/4 lb of the laptop weight.

Hmm, I might try it

im actually pretty jealous. my dvd drive doesnt work so its just wasted space. can you fit a laptop HD into it haha??

go for it!

kremer4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Will bootcamp even install on a second drive? If you dont use your SD, and want more space go for it.

Me personally, I dont think its worth the money. Not to mention most times Im not mobile, so I just hook up the 3TB externals ;)

Yeah bootcamp will work on the second drive. You can even make it your primary boot drive. But your right it is alot of money. Unless I can get a 128GB SSD for a good deal I wouldn't go for it.

denny14

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Does this make sense for RAID1?

Would this enable setting up the two disks in a RAID 1 manner? That is, a mirror of each other.
How would performance be impacted?

Very interesting I think.

be300test

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
wow, i never thought of checking this site for unibody support.

thanks op!

ill be putting 500gb in :D

ssd + hdd

never use superdrive anyway :p

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Would this enable setting up the two disks in a RAID 1 manner? That is, a mirror of each other.
How would performance be impacted?

Very interesting I think.

if you have both as identical drives then i guess you could. performance wouldnt be that impacted, but power consumption would be (especially if they are both the spinning HDs)

denny14

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
That makes sense to me. I am new to mac. I guess the OS can be configured to handle RAID like this? When one of the drives fails, do you get a notice? When you have to replace one, how do you make it a mirror? Is this an automatic thing?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
That makes sense to me. I am new to mac. I guess the OS can be configured to handle RAID like this? When one of the drives fails, do you get a notice? When you have to replace one, how do you make it a mirror? Is this an automatic thing?

yes the OS can handle it. when you install leopard onto it you can setup the RAID (software RAID only on a laptop im afraid).

not sure about drive failure notices, never had a drive failed haha.

when you replace it im guessing you can tell it that its the replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.