Second internal SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by robgendreau, Jun 11, 2014.

1. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I've got a nice Samsung SSD (500GB) running my Mavericks system now, and although I had to move some stuff off to an HDD it has decent space left.

I have been offered another SSD (Crucial MX100) at 256GB; the question is how to best use it (it was offered to me super cheap by a guy who needed something bigger; I don't wanna in good conscience take it if it just were to be used as plain old storage). I already have all applications and much data on the boot SSD; would I get significant dividends if I moved my Lightroom catalogs and all photos onto it? The catalogs are currently on the boot SSD and that would free up considerable space. I deal with that now by moving photos I no longer use much off the SSD and onto a HDD.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. bxs macrumors 6502a

Several video/editing software applications advise to configure a file cache space that has a separate i/o path and is as fast as you can make it. For example, Adobe After Effects CC uses what is called a Persistent Disk Cache. A second SSD would be a good candidate for this.