So i get back from work today and pick up my MBP and start checking mails getting the latest news etc on my couch. I then decide to grab a drink and place the notebook on the chair without sleeping it and go get my drink. When i get back, the notebook is switched off. i press the power button and the computer attempts to boot and then just powers off within a few second. I check the battery meter to see if im outta juice but no i still have 4 bars. Hmmmm. I then decide that i'll try and connect back to an AC adapter which i do and i notice the magsafe indicator takes a while and then finally shows green. I power up the computer again and lo and behold it works this time. I get to the desktop and realise the battery is no longer recognised. Won't show up in the menu bar, system profiler or coconut battery. To experiment, i yank the magsafe again and the computer switches off instantly which leads to the conclusion that....my battery is dead. Actually the computer thinks it is, cos it not. Battery meter shows that there's still some juice (4 bars). I've done an SMC reset, PRAM reset all to no avail. So now i effectively have a desktop on my hands.