Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
See, my ISP in Cincinnati only allows one IP per consumer. So, routers using NAT are the only way to get around it.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by revenuee
Router? what the.. for two computers at home?

started up the computers - and opened a browser... everything worked fine. jus set the net preferences to to provied DCHP - or whatever it's call from the service provider

Well, MOST broadband ISPs do NOT assign multiple IP addresses.

The price you quoted sounds like you did buy a router, unless you bought a really expensive hub.

Also, a hub will provide NO protection from the rest of the internet, therefore hacking and DDoS attacks will be much more of a problem. Get a router, block incoming ports, you're golden.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
i did not call my ISP for my IP's, i have no routers - they're macs... they just work

WOW! Your Macs were able to lease an IP via DHCP...THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!!

FYI, most "broadband routers" these days will work out of the box, no config required, with cable internet.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by aphexist
Well, MOST broadband ISPs do NOT assign multiple IP addresses.

The price you quoted sounds like you did buy a router, unless you bought a really expensive hub.

Also, a hub will provide NO protection from the rest of the internet, therefore hacking and DDoS attacks will be much more of a problem. Get a router, block incoming ports, you're golden.

Asante 5 Port Ethernet Hub is what it says on the thing... and it was 75 CND

i bought the thing 4 years ago upon the advice of my reseller

as far as getting hacked... i don't know

how is being on a hub make you more suseptable to being hacked then if you've just got one computer running?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Asante 5 Port Ethernet Hub is what it says on the thing... and it was 75 CND

i bought the thing 4 years ago upon the advice of my reseller

as far as getting hacked... i don't know

how is being on a hub make you more suseptable to being hacked then if you've just got one computer running?

Not just one computer running... I have an iMac at home and I still use a router, as the router blocks incoming packets to my IP.

By being on a hub, it's like being directly connected to the ISP, so you're susceptible to more attacks.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by tomf87
They could look at the MAC address of the device connected and determine the manufacturer of it. If it turns up to be a Linksys or D-Link, then you can be sure it is a network device of some sort. However, if it turns out to be Apple, that could be either an Airport station or any of their computers...

Good lord. A cable company really would need some time on its hands to do that.

But thanks, I didn't realize MAC numbers were like VINs on cars--that you could tell the brand of product.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
MAC addresses and cablemodems

I agree that a router with NAT is the way to go. The cable company cannot see beyond the router, and see only that one "machine" and therefore have no problems with it.

You will, however, need to call your provider in some areas (like Northern Virginia and Florida with Adelphia) and say you're switching computers, and need to have the cache cleared. With Adelphia, get a ticket number and ask to be bumped to level 2 support. Alternately, I was told by the technician that their timeout is 4.5 hours, so leave your cablemodem unplugged for 4.5 hours and the system will then capture the first MAC address given when you plug it back in. (Most of us can't live that long without our connections though, so it's worth the 10 minutes on the phone to get to tech support. ;)

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: MAC addresses and cablemodems

Originally posted by shadow95
I agree that a router with NAT is the way to go. The cable company cannot see beyond the router, and see only that one "machine" and therefore have no problems with it.

You will, however, need to call your provider in some areas (like Northern Virginia and Florida with Adelphia) and say you're switching computers, and need to have the cache cleared. With Adelphia, get a ticket number and ask to be bumped to level 2 support. Alternately, I was told by the technician that their timeout is 4.5 hours, so leave your cablemodem unplugged for 4.5 hours and the system will then capture the first MAC address given when you plug it back in. (Most of us can't live that long without our connections though, so it's worth the 10 minutes on the phone to get to tech support. ;)

Someone asked earlier about MAC cloning and it relates to your post.

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 and it supports MAC cloning. You essentially enter the MAC address of your old PC and it will use that on the WAN port, so your ISP doesn't see a change at all (and you won't have to call them).

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Good lord. A cable company really would need some time on its hands to do that.

But thanks, I didn't realize MAC numbers were like VINs on cars--that you could tell the brand of product.

Yes and no. I have run across duplicate MAC's before, so while they are supposed to be unique, they do get reused. I have heard VIN numbers get reused, but the previous vehicle was destroyed as well.

You cannot always tell the brand of the product either. Some companies sell chipsets to a lot of companies. Sometimes they get programmed with the other companies address range and then shipped to them, other times it may have who originally made the chipset. So you will see one of two things, either who made the chipset or whose equipment it really is. Most large companies that sell network gear have several allocations. The first three octets say who it is.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: MAC addresses and cablemodems

Originally posted by shadow95
Alternately, I was told by the technician that their timeout is 4.5 hours, so leave your cablemodem unplugged for 4.5 hours and the system will then capture the first MAC address given when you plug it back in. (Most of us can't live that long without our connections though, so it's worth the 10 minutes on the phone to get to tech support. ;)

You don't even sleep that long? I know you're kidding, a bit, but why not unplug when you go to bed and plug in the new device in the morning? Sure, you have to do it bleary-eyed, but hardly a major deal.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by tomf87
Not just one computer running... I have an iMac at home and I still use a router, as the router blocks incoming packets to my IP.

By being on a hub, it's like being directly connected to the ISP, so you're susceptible to more attacks.

lets forget about the router for a minute...

How is it any different when my computer is connected staight into the modem via ethernet, or if it's connected to the hub, and then to the modem via eithernet ... as far as security risk is concerned...

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
lets forget about the router for a minute...

How is it any different when my computer is connected staight into the modem via ethernet, or if it's connected to the hub, and then to the modem via eithernet ... as far as security risk is concerned...

There is no difference. Both are directly connected to the Internet with nothing in between them.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
Quite frankly Routers are gay, They are marketed for crappy home setups :-/

So the backbone of the internet is gay?

And, quite frankly, how can you call this gay?

Attachments

• ccmigration_09186a008002d3f7.jpg
    ccmigration_09186a008002d3f7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 113

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by ibookin'
So the backbone of the internet is gay?

And, quite frankly, how can you call this gay?

Don't pay any attention to Archaeopteryx . He's not much of a "computer person" seeing as he can't figure out how to open his CD drive.

Here is the link. Laugh, laugh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.