Second Macbook Pro NIGHTMARES!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uzit, Nov 4, 2008.

1. uzit macrumors regular

Hey folks,

I have a last gen Macbook Pro 2.4 Penryn model I believe. It has crashed on me 5x over the last 6 months. I've had to reinstall Leopard each time this has happened. Also at 3x it failed to power on despite the battery being fully charged, So I left it a few hours and suddenly it started to work again. Another problem I have been getting is that it takes around 3mins 12second to power up and now that is NOT normal.

It is very very unreliable, I can afford it to go bust on me because it is the only computer I have and I will be in the sh*t if it goes!

I cannot goto apple store in the next 2 weeks due to the nature of my working hours (I start at 7am finish at 8pm) Would it be fair for me to ask for a replacement unit from applecare if I was to call them? I dont mind the same model refurb, new one would be a bonus but I highly doubt they would do that.

Any tips and thoughts would be awesome :)

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sounds like you have a powerboard problem there mate, if you cant get to an AppleStore for service, get Apple to send you a shipping box. Maybe that's better for you?

3. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Probably the left IO board, that's what mine had replaced when the battery wasn't being charged properly, if the little green light on the Mag Safe is flashing or blinking then I was told it's definitely that board that needs to be replaced. My MB Pro has been fine since they did this.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

If it is your first "issue", you'll be told to send it in to replace parts. It is very unlikely that they would be willing to send you a completely new/replacement unit on your first issue. From reading around the forum, the general consensus is that you'll only receive a replacement unit only after your third issue.

By the way, you are aware that the apple store is open during the weekend as well right? Just make an appointment online and you'll be in and out in less than 20 minutes.

5. uzit thread starter macrumors regular

I cant go on the weekend because I work then too lol

Regarding replacement, yea I was worried because last time my lappy broke three times then they replaced it. But my second MBP cocking up is beyond a joke! I will ring them now because I am on lunch break.

6. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

You work everyday of the week?

I can't believe that for one second. There are maximum working hours in the UK, so there must be where you are???

As for getting it replaced, it wont happen on your first go, or second and it took 2 weeks for my MBP to be fixed by an apple store :rolleyes:

7. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

maximum work hours apply to your contract, if you are contracted they dont apply. if you work part time and choose to work more hours, that is your choice and voids the maximum work hours law :)

8. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Not at all consistent....

With my own experiences involving Apple equipment.
    I do know that the Apple stores are charged with keeping customers happy.

If it was any other brand of computer, you would not have a store that is equipped with people able to fix your problem. The other companies would have you box it up and send it back to them or they would send you the part after a 4 hour phone session and have you install the part yourself.

9. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

if you have sent this in for this problem mulitple times, you can try to compain to applecare. i scored myself a new late 2008 macbook pro after complaining that my SR MBP broke down a few times.