Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

I had a 2014 Macbook Pro with Swollen battery, it was a loved device, it was really hard to let it go - the battery expands and it just slightly bends the device as well

Replaced it with a late 2017 device, sadly, same issue - since I sold the first one to an aftermarket Macbook repairsman, I got some good advice too, I've been conditioning the new device by letting the battery fall down to 20% bi weekly (Apple's official advice)

I used both Macbooks on my desk, if it was the electrical grid, I think other devices would be affected too, I have a champion 2011 Macbook Air, always on charger, no issues

I'm just really perplexed, there isn't any significant workload on these devices either :(

I've been using an actual, small but thick book (like textbook) as a stand, it's much thinner than the macbook itself, doesn't get in the way of ventilation etc. - maybe it's causing it?
[automerge]1590583481[/automerge]
Some photos to show how the Macbook sits on the book (pardon the dust, a lot of construction around, it builds up fast, I just let it be out of the areas I don't use regularly)

If it's actually the book that's causing it, I hope this issue helps others avoid putting a book under their devices too, because it seems to be common

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Typical root causes:
  • Keeping battery fully charged
  • High temperature (room temp or due to CPU/GPU load)
  • Deep discharge
You seem to say none of these could be the issue?

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I keep the battery fully charged, because I work with the machine on a desk, no way around it

I just let it condition bi-weekly, discharge it to 20-30%'s, then back to the cord - apparently, it was a futile effort

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I think the issue may be that you still have the battery at 100% charge most of the time. The new feature in v10.14.5 seems to fix this by stopping the charging before reaching 100% if it thinks youa are permanently plugged in.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I keep the battery fully charged, because I work with the machine on a desk, no way around it
I just let it condition bi-weekly, discharge it to 20-30%'s, then back to the cord - apparently, it was a futile effort"

This was a good practice, but that may "not be enough".

What do you do with it at night?
Did you leave it plugged in, sleeping, but still charging?

This may have contributed to the problem, too.

My advice:
Each and every night, shut the laptops down completely, then DISCONNECT their chargers from the wall outlet (if you use a power strip, reach down and turn it off).
In the morning, re-energize and reboot.

Reactions: Queen6

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
If I manage to buy a new one, I do plan on using it around the house a bit, as a change of pace, so hopefully that will alleviate the issue a bit

Yes indeed they sleep and stay charged

But shutting down + disconnecting seems like an extreme chore to be honest, doesn't seem doable, part of the macos allure was to never have to shutdown

However, leaving it disconnected at most nights seems doable

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
It's hard to say for sure with these things. So many other factors can contribute to it.

During this COVID work-from-home environment, I've been on my late-2016 13" MBP M-F 9hrs a day, in closed clamshell mode with it constantly plugged in. This is after barely ever using my computer plugged in (had a separate work computer at the office).

To be safe, and out of an abundance of caution, at night, I unplug my MBP (and just put it to sleep). And then on weekends, if I ever need my laptop, I try to use it on battery like a normal laptop, taking it with me to kitchen table, or bed, or whatever.

Probably don't need to, but very little effort on my part and if it has a chance to help at all, feels worth it.

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Definitely worth it, also sounds fun/healthy

My secondary theory is, is it possible for chargers to not handle low quality electricity well? I always use them with surge protectors, but maybe there's undetected spikes etc. that are not exactly surges, and if the chargers aren't made to handle them, it could be causing the issues? I don't know the design specs, but one would assume/hope the charger to fail instead of the device receiving the effects of the bad quality electricity

Reactions: Thirio2

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
But shutting down + disconnecting seems like an extreme chore to be honest

By keeping your laptop (mobile computer) you are actively killing battery. Even with low charge cycles it will fail. You do not have to shut down system - just disconnect for night (I am doing that). I will not blame charger or electricity grid unless you are using some Chinese knock-off instead of original charger.

In latest update Apple introduced software fail-safe to prevent constant charging. Similar solution is available on Thinkvantage software (Power Manager) provided for Thinkpads. It will do "chore" automatically looking at your battery condition.
Another thing is that batteries are getting old chemically - you cannot stop it.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Definitely worth it, also sounds fun/healthy

My secondary theory is, is it possible for chargers to not handle low quality electricity well? I always use them with surge protectors, but maybe there's undetected spikes etc. that are not exactly surges, and if the chargers aren't made to handle them, it could be causing the issues? I don't know the design specs, but one would assume/hope the charger to fail instead of the device receiving the effects of the bad quality electricity
It's unlikely to be the charger.
That book is probably keeping a lot more heat in than is ideal. Paper is a poor conductor of heat, and the rubber feet on the corners of the computer would normally provide a small bit of an air gap and improve air circulation, even though the air is primarily drawn in on the sides of the bottom of the computer.
I'd take it to Apple and get it replaced. On the positive side, you'll get a new keyboard out of it.

Reactions: bernuli

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
After watching some unrelated Louis Rossmann videos, seeing the internals of Macbook's

I think the ultimate solution would've been to just drop the battery to 60%, simply open the bottom enclosure and just uncouple the battery for desktop usage - would've saved me NET $2000+ already

It's a seemingly 2 minute operation back and forth, basically if you use the device like I do, the battery acts like a UPS, with this approach, that aspect would be lost, but it I'd rather use the device like an iMac that converts back to a Macbook when needed, rather than the hazard I have right now

Since I'm in Turkey, I can't just get my US/English keyboard Macbook serviced either, as far as I know, they don't have spare keyboards :/

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
After watching some unrelated Louis Rossmann videos, seeing the internals of Macbook's

I think the ultimate solution would've been to just drop the battery to 60%, simply open the bottom enclosure and just uncouple the battery for desktop usage - would've saved me NET $2000+ already

It's a seemingly 2 minute operation back and forth, basically if you use the device like I do, the battery acts like a UPS, with this approach, that aspect would be lost, but it I'd rather use the device like an iMac that converts back to a Macbook when needed, rather than the hazard I have right now

Since I'm in Turkey, I can't just get my US/English keyboard Macbook serviced either, as far as I know, they don't have spare keyboards :/
Apple laptops run at no more than half CPU speed with no battery. Chances are good that you'd quickly find performance to be a problem if you unplugged the battery.
Authorized Apple service providers should be able to get the correctly localized keyboard based on serial number regardless of location.

Reactions: bernuli

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I always had schneider/apc surge protectors, but obviously they don't prevent the swelling - with the new macbook, plan to only charge with an online ups behind the surge protector, creating it's own sine wave, and charge the device when it's not in use - if the new one swells too, I guess I'm cursed or something :(

Any advice on how I should approach getting my swollen Macbook Pro fixed? It's an 2017 with multiple keys not working, on 2017's, is the battery glued to the topframe too? So when people get their keyboard fixed, do they get a new battery too?

In any case, I'll try to attempt and get Apple cover the repair, as the battery is just at 30 counts, and I applied Apple's advice of keeping the li-po healthy by keeping it conditioned, yet it didn't work :(

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
By keeping your laptop (mobile computer) you are actively killing battery. Even with low charge cycles it will fail. You do not have to shut down system - just disconnect for night (I am doing that). I will not blame charger or electricity grid unless you are using some Chinese knock-off instead of original charger.

In latest update Apple introduced software fail-safe to prevent constant charging. Similar solution is available on Thinkvantage software (Power Manager) provided for Thinkpads. It will do "chore" automatically looking at your battery condition.
Another thing is that batteries are getting old chemically - you cannot stop it.

This is a blatant thread hijack so I must apologise to the OP, but I do feel obliged to defend Chinese knock-offs. Since buying my MBP in May 2005 I have used a Lavolta charger and nothing but, the (Chinese) Apple original still nestles in the box because I wanted to keep the whole package pristine in case I didn't take to Mac and decided to sell; that won't happen now. I've had no battery issues whatsoever.

To the OP. Loose the book, but probably you're just guilty of being unlucky.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
but I do feel obliged to defend Chinese knock-offs. Since buying my MBP in May 2005 I have used a Lavolta charger and nothing but, the (Chinese) Apple original still nestles in the box because I wanted to keep the whole package
Good one ;)! Was your charger dirty cheap? It has a brand name and that’s good sign.

Everything (almost) is made in China nowadays (is it ok? - that’s completely different discussion) and designed outside.

What I meant was cheap knockoffs of Apple branded products - offered in gazziollions in China. They can really hurt your laptop - any laptop.
It is mind blowing for me to buy +2000 USD laptop and try to safe on a charger 30 USD - THE crucial element propelling your machine.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Any advice on how I should approach getting my swollen Macbook Pro fixed? It's an 2017 with multiple keys not working, on 2017's, is the battery glued to the topframe too? So when people get their keyboard fixed, do they get a new battery too?
When Apple changes the keyboard under the warranty, you'll get a brand new battery at that time, so just take the computer to Apple to have the keyboard fixed.

Reactions: bernuli and kaans

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I got an aluminium stand for the time being, it was 99try ($15) and available locally, chinese ones are $12-18 too, probably more refined but didn't want to wait. For the book method, for those who do it, probably best to place it in the front of the device, since the back of the device is the part that actually gets hot

As far as chargers go, to be honest, if my devices last 2 years, with a knock off charger, they'd probably not last 2 months :) I was on a trip with a friend, he hijacked my cable, not even charger, because his knock off was problematic, I connected his knock off cable for 1-2 hours, it slightly heated my iPhone, and my batter health dropped from 96% to 91% in those 2 short hours - Imagine that :( But we can never know, maybe your knock off charger has better surge protective capabilities by luck - This was a good read for me: https://switchon.eaton.com/plug/article/176/ups-vs.-surge-suppressor - Maybe there's a bastardly device in the home that's been feeding internal surges all this time

I'll re-iterate my current quest, how can I minimize or avoid repair costs, given that the keyboard needs replacing too?

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
When Apple changes the keyboard under the warranty, you'll get a brand new battery at that time, so just take the computer to Apple to have the keyboard fixed.

Oh that's good to hear, there are official Apple stores in Istanbul, but not in Ankara, only third party authorized services in Ankara, I'm a bit afraid of their approach

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Oh that's good to hear, there are official Apple stores in Istanbul, but not in Ankara, only third party authorized services in Ankara, I'm a bit afraid of their approach
For authorized service there's only one approach to fixing the keyboard- replace the entire top case including the battery. I'd expect that all Apple service facilities are quite familiar with the process now.

Last edited:

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland

Authorized Repair Services should replace your keyboard free of charge as well. I have my 15" MBP keyboard replaced by a third party place, simply because the Apple Store in town didn't have an appointment available. I get to pick up my 15" MBP this week, and next week I'll drop off the 13" MBP (late 2016) to get the keyboard replaced, as it has the same problem - and the new battery is a nice bonus ;)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"how can I minimize or avoid repair costs, given that the keyboard needs replacing too?"

The keyboard is covered for 4 years under the replacement extended warranty for defective butterfly keyboards.

When the keyboard is replaced, the entire "top case" of the computer is replaced along with it (aluminum cover and battery).

IF there is an Apple Store in Istanbul, take it there if possible.
If you can't take it there, try to contact them.

Or, call Apple directly. They may ship you a prepaid box in which to return it.

STOP WASTING TIME on this.
Call them and get it done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.