Second Menu Bar / Multiple Monitor App

Incarna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012

==================================

So I went from W7 (which had a multitude of great apps for dealing with more than one monitor like Ultramon) to an OS X Lion Mac Pro & Macbook Pro. I loved using my Macs infinitely more but they apparently didn't work too well out of the box with a multiple monitor setup.

Here's my attempt at dealing with the multiple monitor problem: Multimon. (<- Click to view in App Store)

Features:

Multiple Menu Bars
⁃ Should work for any number of monitors, the max I was able to test up to was 3 though.
(People with 9 monitor setups, please let me know ;)).

Advanced Window Management
⁃ You're more productive with another monitor but nobody wants to drag windows left and right.
Easily send a window to any of your monitors via a drop down or a hotkey. Maximize or minimize too!

• Automatic Window Resizing
⁃ A lot of us don't have the luxury of matching dual cinema displays :p. This'll automatically resize windows that are too large onto smaller monitors.

• Hotkeys
⁃ Pretty customizable hotkeys for a bunch of the features listed above as well as quickly hiding all menu bars, etc.

So yup, that's it.

You can tweet me for Multimon support / feedback at @delveapps.
Tweet my personal twitter about apps / design / apple / anything at @aaronykng :).

Hope you guys find it useful. Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Last edited:

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I saw this app (or other one, with the same function) somewhere for free and legal few weeks ago.

Comment

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
This looks really awesome. This functionality should have been in OSX already in my opinion.

Would it be possible to have a dock per monitor? I know there isn't a massive amount of functionality in doing this but it's more for the aesthetics.

Comment

Incarna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
This looks really awesome. This functionality should have been in OSX already in my opinion.

Would it be possible to have a dock per monitor? I know there isn't a massive amount of functionality in doing this but it's more for the aesthetics.
Haha, you're definitely not the first person to ask for this. I've been looking into it but can't really give a definitive answer on multiple docks just yet.

It's a bit more complicated than adding a second menu bar, but it's definitely something I've been keeping in mind for a future update.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

pkamb

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Seattle
Very cool. Do you see yourself having any issues with the Mac App Store sandboxing rules that just went into effect?

As a fellow developer of utility apps it has me worried, but I still haven't heard exactly what is allowed with regards to the Accessibility API, resizing other apps' windows, etc.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.