Second Monitor Causes BLIPS!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shayna23, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Shayna23, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

Shayna23 macrumors newbie

My iMac: a 21" i5 ("Mid 2010").

I connected a really nice new Samsung to run as a 2nd monitor (mini displayport out of my iMac into Samsung's HDMI port).

Problem: While my 2nd monitor is connected, I will see an extremely brief horizontal "blip" about 2 or 3 times an hour on my iMac. I powered OFF the 2nd monitor, but the "blip" would still happen! I then UNPLUGGED the 2nd monitor, and the "blip" would still happen!

The only way to stop the blip is to physically remove the HDMI cable from my iMac.

I decided to try a different monitor. I went and bought a really nice new 24" DELL monitor instead (beautiful monitor by the way!). The Dell has a DVI port in the back, so I had to buy a brand new cable, too (a "MiniDisplayPort to DVI" cable).

Unfortunately, even with my new Dell Monitor and new cable, I still get that brief horizontal abberation a few times an hour! Turning the Dell OFF does not help, and unplugging the Dell from the wall outlet doesn't help either.

Just like before, the only way to make the "blip" on my iMac stop is to physically remove the MiniDisplayport-to-DVI cable from my iMac.

Any ideas?

2. Shayna23 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. DerekS macrumors 6502

Get yourself a UPS or surge protector.

I bet those blips correspond with the A/C kicking in and out.

4. Shayna23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. But the "blips" only happen when the cable (the mini displayport to dvi cable) is plugged into the back of my iMac. (And, both my iMac and my new monitor are plugged into their own respective power surge protectors.)

5. Shayna23 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: today I got a simple "mini Displayport extension cord" that's a few inches long. I unplugged all my cables, and stuck that new small cable into the mini Displayport on the back of my iMac. SAME THING -- I still get the blip. So, it appears that ANYTHING plugged into my min Displayport causes that blip.
    Any ideas??

6. Sandtrond macrumors newbie

Hi. I have almost the same problem with a Mac Mini connected from the Minidisplayport to a Kanex adapter and on to a HDMI-cable to a Philips TV. The Mac-screen blips irregularly when ever the adapter is connected to the Mac. Maybe this problem started after I updated to OS 10.9 - I am not sure.
    Please can anyone help?