Second monitor connection woe

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thatgreenvw, Jan 12, 2012.

1. thatgreenvw macrumors newbie

Ok I have a mac mini 2011 base model with an LG screen attached via HDMI, and a second screen that I want to hook up using the MDP -> any other connection. I've tried all these combinations:
    a MDP->HDMI cable in 3 samsung tvs (syncmaster 2333HD and two others i can't recall the models of)

a MDP->VGA converter from the apple store in a samsung syncmaster 2333HD and LG E2251 monitor

a MDP->DVI converter from the apple store in the same samsung and LG screens.

Only with the first cable did i get any sign of the second screen being detected, in that display prefs would show the settings for a second screen but i'd never get a picture. With both converters i've never got a hint of the second screen being detected.

At this point i'm thinking there is a problem with the mac, so i'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience?

2. thatgreenvw thread starter macrumors newbie

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I've never had any issues hooking up two different HDMI monitors via my base 2011 Mac Mini. Both of my LG 23" LCD Monitors are connected via HDMI. One using the HDMI port and one using a MDP to HDMI cable.

4. alq macrumors member

Same here, not a problem connecting 2 screens on my 2011 Mini Server model.
    One 24" running off the HDMI@1920x1200 and the second (23" @1920x1080) running off the Promise Pegasus with a MDP-DVI adapter (Mini -> Pegasus -> Screen).

alq.

5. thatgreenvw thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm very odd, took the latest cable back to the apple shop today and tried asking about whether it could be my mini's thunderbolt port but all i got told was to go check forums for other people who may have the same problem! If anyone could recommend the cables they've used and that they were available in the UK would be awesome.