Second Monitor for 15" MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JordanLB23, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

I am wondering if I get a 2nd monitor for my 15" MBPr (late 2013 model), do I need to make sure the monitor has the same resolution ratio as the 15" MBPr?

My screen resolution is 1440x900.

I believe MBPr is a 16:10 resolution?

Aren't most monitors 16:9 resolution?

Basically if I am looking to buy a 2nd monitor, what resolution ratio or resolution size should I be looking for that ensures the display transfers 100% directly from MBPr to the monitor with zero distortion?

I'm interested in a 27" monitor. Just unsure what resolution size or ratio to get.

Please help, thanks.

2. Macalway, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

I bought a 24" Dell 4K that's better than the current MBP 15 retina (or at least as good...trust me :) )

Dell P2415Q 24" 4K Monitor

Now the 27" version of this is suppose to be the same, however I can only vouch for the 24. In the past I have had majors issues with the 'gloss vs matte' conundrum. This one is matte, but without any matte graininess (totally free of grain IMHO). I bought it for $360 US at B&H a few months ago.

At this point in time, these type monitors (there must be others) blow away the Cinema Displays they (Apple) sell.

But Apple should be coming out with a 5k stand alone soon. Probably will be killer.

3. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

If you need a 16:10 monitor, search for 2560x1600 resolution.
    If you want a 4K monitor to run in retina mode, I suggest Dell P2715Q, it's a 27" monitor with matte finish and great color reproduction.

4. Macalway macrumors 68020

Yeah, i'd ike to get the 27 version of this, but the 5k monitor Apple is (most likely) going to sell will be an option. But I'm not sure I want a glossy screen after the success of the Dell.

5. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

Apple's monitor will cost 2 or 3 times the cost of Dell's. Won't have 5 years warranty as Dell gives to this monitor I mentioned and will be probably glossy. Also will be a 1st generation product, as we all know, Apple makes mistakes to all 1st gen products...

6. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi
    Hi i'm sorry I forgot to mention i'm not necessarily looking for 4K for the 27" monitor. I think it would be too small and I am not looking to spend too much on a 2nd monitor.

I intend to use the 2nd monitor kind of like a split screen set up that you may have seen in certain music production studios or any other dual screen set up.

I don't need anything fancy for gaming or graphics. I am simply looking for a good 27" monitor (unsure of what type of screen but definetely not 4K given the price) with a display that is as nice or better than my current retina display for a good price.

I still want to know though, if my MBPr is 16:10, do I NEED a 16:10 monitor? Will 16:10 laptop to 16:9 monitor create any display distortion? If not I am fine with a 27" 16:9 display monitor.

7. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

Well technically You'd need a 4/5K screen to be as nice as your retina display at 27". But a good 1440p screen would be sufficient to measure to to Apples cinema displays.

The most important things IMO are going to be if the screen is IPS or not since they have much better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN displays.

Secondly I think that 1080p monitors tend to make OS X look like crap(UI looks overly large and a bit blurry) and would go with a 1440p screen.

There shouldn't be any reason for the display ratio to be a problem for your Mac, even more exotic 21:9 monitors etc. should work fine.

8. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

So essentially, if I am looking for a 27" monitor that can mimic the Apple displays the best would be a 27" monitor with a 1440p screen and IPS screen? What about screen type like LED,LCD,4K etc? What kind of screen type would I be looking for?

All I am looking for is a 27" monitor where I don't have to switch between looking at retina on my laptop to looking at blurry or stretched images on the monitor.

Basically I want a 27" that can measure up to my 15 inch MBPr display at the lowest price possible, but I'm not sure how much I should be spending. 4K seems to be around $600+ and I don't think I need 4K.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

But 4K is the only way to "measure up to the retina" in terms of clarity.

1440p at 27 inch is the same as the pre retina iMacs so still a pretty darn good screen.

You want LCD or LED and IPS. To be honest screens are a pretty personal thing, get to a store have a look at a load and decide what you like, I find Samsung oversaturated for example. Then buy cheap off amazon.

10. Macalway, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

Best to get the best you can afford. Monitors have gotten much better recently. You can get a great monitor for less than $200. The problem is, if you are used to a MBPR you will notice things when you have both on. The Dell we mention, will not suffer in comparison. THis is a very good thing, well worth the extra $$$