Second monitor for iMac PS3 compatible

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Pachang, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Pachang macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a PS3 for GT5 and since I'm in a college dorm is would be good to hook it up to a monitor that I could use a secondary monitor for my imac (two birds with one stone). I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 27", and since it's being hooked up the the ps3 I would need a hdmi.

I've looked at the Dell u2711 and the u3011. Right now I'm going for the u2711. Are there any other options out there? Anyone who has done this?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you sure you really want to spend +1000$ on a monitor for PS3? The monitors you're looking at have resolution of 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 while PS3 only supports 1080p and most games are less than 720p (e.g. MW2 is 600p).

A small TV or a monitor like this is what you should be looking for PS3.

3. Pachang thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about one of those "tv monitors".
    But Remember I am using it as a second display with my 27" iMac, which as you know is 2560x1440.
    If i get a big 27" with a vert res of only 1080 then it won't really mesh well with the 27" iMac.
    I would like to keep the same or similar pixel per inch ratio to keep OS X looking the same on both screens.

Basically I want something that I can use a secondary monitor AND for a ps3.

[edit] also it would be good if it had component input because I also have a wii lying around.