Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harlleysathler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Hi all!

I have a very old PowerMac 8600, that has the monitor out and has the S-Video Out too.

The problem is that it sees a second monitor on the S-Video Out and the menubar and other controls of the system is moved to this second monitor. I have no TV to connect on it to restore the system.

Any one can help me to disable this second monitor?

The 8600 is running the MacOS 8.6

Thank you all!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
That's a hard one, You could do it in the Control Pannel, But I'm not sure.

When you start up the computer, hold down shift. That will disable the extensions. If it works correctly, the screen should default to the 'main' screen. Another option would be to start up from an OS CD and to the equivilant of an archive and reinstall.

TEG

harlleysathler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Well, if I start the computer in Extensions Off mode the main display comes back to the main monitor, but when I restart in normal mode everything goes wrong again: the main screen switched to the TV Out...

Is there any way to completely disable the TV Out?

Thank you again!

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I had a PowerMac 7500 back then, which had basically the same TV out feature. There must be a system extension installed for the TV out. Take it out of the extension (and system) folder and restart the system. I don't remember the name of the extension (it's too long ago), but it must be called something with 'AV'...

groovebuster

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Again, restart with extensions off. There should be some kind of control panel that came with the 8600... and perhaps only in the monitor control panel- that lets you adjust it. I don't think it's in the monitor control panel though, as I've got S-Vid out on my mac and never saw anything of the sort.

As mentioned, you should try to find the culprit. If you can't pinpoint it, remove all the extensions, and add all the ones back you know for sure it's not. Reboot, and it should still work okay, although you probably won't have video acceleration.

If you have kept your extensions folder trim, you probably only have 120-150 extensions.. if not, you might have upwards of 200-250. THat could be a pain. Anyway, just keep adding ones you're pretty sure, several at a time, until you pinpoint the troublesome extension.

Hopefully it's not the one that gives you 2D/3D acceleration. if it is, it's probably adjustable in the control panel.

If push really comes to shove, you can pick up a flashed PC Radeon 7000 PCI (flashed for Mac, that is) for very cheap on ebay and whatnot, or even a new Radeon 9200 PCI... though they're over $100 usually and obviously that's huge ripoff for a card that old/underpowered (though it would run circles around whatever you've got in there.. especially if you're running the stock- what is it, 4MB Rage II?

Your machine has six PCI slots.. shouldn't be a problem ;)

Good luck =)

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I'm trying to remember if a PRAM reset would work for this.
Reboot, and right after you hear the chime, hold down command+option+P+R.

I'm also trying to remember if the S-Video port is on the same card as the built-in video. If not, get out the screwdriver. (Sorry!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.