Second monitor resolution problem!! HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by white gandalf, May 11, 2011.

1. white gandalf macrumors newbie

To all the MAC people out there, I need a hero!

I am a total newbie to MAC. I just purchased a MacBook Pro a few days ago. I have an LG monitor that I used to hook up to my PC laptop. I hooked it up to my MacBook Pro this morning to use it as a second monitor for photo editing, and I cannot get it to work properly!

The main problem is the screen resolution. My MAC screen resolution is 1440x900. The LG monitor SHOULD be at 1920x1080, but I cannot change this anywhere. I have the monitor menu button open, and I have been in the Display under System Preferances, but nothing lets me change the resolution of the second monitor to what it should be. On the display menu button, there is an option of a "VGA Display", but it will only allow me to make it 800x600...

How to I change the resolution for my second monitor?? HELP!!!!!!!

I do not want the monitors to be mirrored, I definitely want it as a second monitor. I have hit "detect display" and this doesn't do anything either. Argh......

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

thats strange, my externally connected display says the brand/model instead of VGA display. I'd do a software update and reset the PRAM

3. white gandalf thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i have a solution!

i called up apple and talked with them - turns out the VGA adapter does not support a high resolution, and so i had to go out and buy a DVI adapter. i plugged it in with the new cable and adapter and it works perfect!!!!!!