Second Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ranger052, May 27, 2013.

1. ranger052, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

ranger052 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I would like to have a second monitor attached to my 2012 iMac. I was thinking on getting an old 20 apple monitor. I have been checking on ebay a d there are a lot of apple's 20" monitors for less than 150.00. The monitor does not have to be HD, I just want the monitor to keep an eye on temperatures while gaming. All the monitors I have seem on ebay does t say the resolution, all they say is 20" so what resolution do you guys think those 20" monitors are?

Oh and will I be able to attach any apple monitor to the iMac? I have an mini display cable adapter that I bought at apple, it cost me 99.99

Any advise guys please...

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Is this the monitor you are referring to? This is the only 21 incher I can think of made by Apple.

[​IMG]

3. ranger052 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Sorry, Is not the 21, is the 20" LCD

I wrote it wrong

4. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Depends on what the display port is, the 20" Apple Cinema Display uses a DVI input, and since the Thunderbolt ports are Mini DisplayPort compatible, you would need to use a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor like this.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor from Apple

5. Giuly, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Why buy an old, used Apple LCD for $150 if you can get a brand-new 21.5" Dell S2240M with IPS panel for $139 shipped? This one is Full HD (1920x1080), the 20" Apple Cinema Displays are 1680×1050. There are two versions of the Apple Cinema Display, one with a DVI and one with an ADC connection, only the former works with your iMac without a ridiculously expensive adapter.
    [​IMG]

You need an Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for both the Dell and the Cinema Display with DVI, however it's not $99 (which is likely the Dual-Link DVI adapter needed for the 30" Apple Display) but $9.

6. ranger052 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thank you so much for your advise.

I wanted the apple display because I wanted to have everything Apple :) but you are right, there is no point in wasting money on an old apple monitor.

That monitor you showed me is nice but is there any monitor like that but in silver color like the iMac?

7. Giuly, May 30, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

There's the HP Pavilion 22xi (and Pavilion 23xi which is a bit bigger for $5 more) that almost looks like a Mac, has an IPS panel and is a mere $25 more than the Dell. The Dell's stand is aluminum, though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"That monitor you showed me is nice but is there any monitor like that but in silver color like the iMac?"

I'd stop worrying about getting a monitor that "matches" in color, and instead start a search for a reasonably priced display that will produce an _image_ that looks great next to your iMac.

I'd suggest an IPS display panel, at least 23" in size. Dell makes a good one.

Since the 2012 iMacs now have an anti-glare panel (unlike earlier iMacs which had a "glossy" display), you might want to get an anti-glare (not glossy) panel to sit beside it.

Don't rush into anything, you ought to give yourself at least a month to look around, evaluate specifications, read reviews, and make a decision.

9. Giuly, May 30, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you care about the specifications, there's a Dell UltraSharp U2312HM for $200 or HP ZR2330w for $250, yet any monitor with an IPS panel is better than a 22" Apple Cinema Display.