Second production run...a fix implemented?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Just guessing here, but I could imagine that the first run of the 4 has ended or is near completion, and that they could pause production at some point soon and begin to implement a change in the antenna design, be it a coating or what have you.

Do you think that someone who orders a 4 going forward from today will receive a phone that reflects a hardware tweak? If not this month, next month...?

If that is the case, I imagine it would only fuel the fire for the inevitable class action suit(s), especially if Apple remains silent and/or continues to deny the issue.

The People: "The phone is inherently flawed. We demand retribution."

Apple: "The phone is perfectly normal."

The People: "Then why do phones manufactured in July have an added polymer coating around the antennae?"

Apple: "Umm. Just because?"

2. jbcraigs macrumors newbie

Production run!!??

This is not an edition of a book and considering the demand there is no way the production is being paused anytime soon.

As for the change in design...I worked in design team of Motorola for three years....so trust me on this ..hardware changes take more than a couple of months to design, another couple of months to test and some more to implement them into production line. They won't be just coating over the antenna. So it would at least be 4-6 months before we get any hardware change. Hopefully in time for the rumored Verizon launch in Jan.

3. omizzle macrumors regular

if they dont have it right by then (assuming the same phone is released), i dont know what to think

4. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I don't really see anything being done untill iPhone 5/4s. It's just too difficult to change the design of the phone in such a short time frame.
    I'm just hoping that by the time I get the phone a software update will at least help with the problem. Maybe change how the phone looks for signal or something.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I agree.

The antenna design is so integral to the design of the phone that any change would be:

a) difficult

b) too noticeable

If they did change something, they'd be accepting that all of the phones shipped prior to that change had an issue.

Apple is obviously going to be continuing work on the next iPhone design - it would be interesting to see what antenna system that has and if they will continue the tradition of still shipping the previous generation as the low end model.