Second SATA DVD Burner for 09 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ben1969, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ben1969 macrumors member

I'd like to install a second sata dvd burner in my 2.26 octad -- any recommendations? Nothing looks available at OWC yet (obviously, since sata is new to the MP), but just about all brands can be had at newegg... Thanks for any tips.

2. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

My experience is that optical drives are all the same. Just choose based on specs and price...and brand loyalty.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Pioneer and most Sony drives have traditionally had the best compatibility driver-wise, since Apple has used them as OEM drives for many years. However, many other brands have been reported to work equally well too....

Suggest you lookie at the user reports database over at www.xlr8yourmac.com and search for reports on whatever drives you are considering.....

And BTW, SATA is NOT new to the MP :p

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

SATA ODDs are, though. They've been ATA since inception.

5. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

...for the tips. Ordered a Pioneer (model dvr-216d). Will post if problems.

6. canonballs macrumors member

They aren't. There are huge differences in quality. Plextors used to be among the top but these days they just sell rebranded Pioneers (which have traditionally performed very well among the cheap drives). Pioneer DVR-216(D) would be the obvious choice.

7. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I have added a Pioneer 216 as a second drive (Firmware 1.09) after reading about it being quiet. My example reads and writes media fine. (It buzzes with badly balance media that the factory "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N" doesn't mind so much).

Twice now however I have had a strange problem. On both occasions I had left a disc unused in the drive for 30 minutes or more. When trying to eject the icon would disappear from the desktop but the tray would fail to open. On trying to eject again the Finder would give the "you have inserted a blank disc" dialogue. Eject or cancel just gave the same dialogue again. What is more disk utility and Toast no longer recognised the presence of the drive itself at all.

On both occasions the only solution was a restart (a log out didn't work). After this the drive worked OK again.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the same symptom?