second thoughts on a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sleyeu, Nov 1, 2009.

1. sleyeu macrumors 6502

i was set on buying a macbook pro, then i heard rumours about new macbook pros in beggining of 2010 so i wait. However i was thinking, do i really need a macbook pro? Will an imac suffice?

i was looking at the imac specs/price and it looked really good! however i wanted something quad core so its furtureproofed... sort of. but quad core is 27" only! too big!

the things i will mostly do is probably play low standard games, like guild wars but i was also thinking of getting into photoshopping and 3d graphics... (e.g. maya)

who reckons that macbook pro will have quad core? + a good graphics card.

p.s. i would like to know if having a laptop is essential for unviersity

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt you'll see a quad core in a notebook anytime soon. I think if you need a portable then you'll clearly want the notebook. I would check with your university to see if they require students to have a notebook.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Portability is always needed in studies so I would wait for new MBP. It's hard to say will it be quad core and if it is, it'll still be slower than quad core iMac.

4. sleyeu thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont need that much power, but still quad core is better than c2d if it has turbo boost and all those other gimmicks

im not going to university yet... might be a while. but for sure not in the next year

5. pnr macrumors newbie

If you consider that hp envy 15" have already quad core, I think new MBP 15" and 17" will have quad core models.

6. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Just sold my macbook pro to get an iMac 27inch quad core when its released.
    Because I wasn't really using the macbook pro for the "portability" side.. Figures!!

:D