Second thoughts on Space Black

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wishbrah, May 13, 2015.

1. Wishbrah macrumors regular

I really hope some durability tests come out soon. I wouldn't mind having a scuffed/scratched SS watch, but I would likely opt for a cheaper band (fluoro or Milanese vs the regular SS link).

That being said, if the DLC really is quite resilient, I feel like it's a much easier justification for the $550ish premium over SS with BSB. I ordered XX:08 and am pretty excited for those who already shipped!

2. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Most DLC coated steel is pretty resistant to scratches and scuffs. While its not 100% its still very good at maintaing its look. Doubtful that Apple would have been lax on these standards and risk another scuff gate.

3. Bargle macrumors regular

I had my try-on appointment today. The aluminum is beautiful and the floro-alastic band is incredibly comfortable and feels amazing, easily the most comfortable, and dare I say, most beautiful band. Relatedly, the slightly bulkier size of the floro-elastic bands actually make the watch look smaller. Because of how thin the other bands are, they only accentuate the thickness of the watches themselves.

42 vs. 38? Honestly I can hardly tell. Apple probably built a 40 originally and realized they can upsell people if they make two sizes; like paying for extra RAM, not really worth it (for me).

Unlike traditional watches, people will be constantly touching the stainless steel, the very first thing I noticed were all the fingerprint marks I left on the stainless steel, I personally do not want to wipe my watch down constantly throughout the day.

Finally, the stainless steel reminded me instantly of the old stainless steel classic iPods. I don't really agree that stainless steel = higher quality. My aluminum iPhone is much preferable.

I bought the 38 aluminum white floro-band. It's my favorite and luckily the cheapest!

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

What the hell does any of this have to do with the thread topic?

5. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Check the Apple Watch Appointment/Try-on Thread, he probably posted his thoughts on the space black band in there........;)

6. Bargle macrumors regular

I don't know...the thread title is "second thoughts on space black" so instead of making a new thread I thought I would give my thoughts on what I liked. The OP is curious about the rubber band as well as concerned about scuffing on the SS and also trying to justify 550 dollars as compared to 350. I think my comment was perfectly on subject unlike yours...

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The OP was talking about the Space Black with Link at $1,100 in 42mm vs. the Stainless Steel with any band as the Space Black has a DLC coating. He was specifically talking about the durability of the DLC vs. the Stainless case.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

He was asking about the DLC coating that's on the SS Space Black. And if it was worth the $550 over the normal SS. Not the price difference between Sport and SS. So no you weren't perfectly on point.