Second Thoughts....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hello1111, Dec 1, 2007.

1. hello1111 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have been planning on buying an iPod Touch 16gb for about a month now. I decided it was time for an upgrade (I have the iPod Nano G1 and an older, bigger iPod). So I did a lot of research and looked around online, and decided I was going to get the iPod Touch 16gb, also planning on Jailbreaking it. But now, I'm having second thoughts. It's not that I like another mp3 player better than the Touch, but I just don't think I really need it. Also, Apple, like they usually do, will come out with a new version, adding features, and maybe even capacity, for the same, or around the same, price.

Can someone PLEASE talk me back into buying one...or am I right?

Thanks!

2. JHKL macrumors newbie

Well, if you thought like that with every purchase, you wouldn't end up buying anything in the technology realm. :)

Honestly though, what features would you want that the Touch doesn't already come with as soon as you've jailbroken it? I really don't expect the next revision of the iPod Touch to be anything more than a capacity upgrade, but that's just me.

Do you need 16 GB of space? If not, you may wish to consider buying the 8 GB model. You'd save money now and if Apple did decide to revise the Touch later, you could use the saved cash to buy the revision later (and sell the old one on eBay).

Just a couple of thoughts. Hopefully this will help a little with your decision.

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Using my Crystal Ball

The new iPod Touch
    16GB - $299
    32GB - $399
    Battery Life increased to 24-30 hrs
    inclusion of a few new apps
    that is all

worth waiting for?
    I think not.:D

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you continue to play the waiting game then you may as well invest your dollars elsewhere. I had the same passing thought about the iPhone knowing the constant gripes about the lack of 3G made me believe that it would be an available feature of the next phone in early spring. However, I bought one anyway because I wanted it now. Sure, in a while the $400 phone will have $200 features, but for now it serves the purpose and I'm enjoying it all the same.

5. hello1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'll probably be using all the space the Touch can offer. I would like to watch Movies/TV Shows on my iPod when traveling, so 16gb is probably worth it, if I get the Touch.

Does anyone want to make a prediction for the next revision of the Touch (nothing I'll hold you to, just wondering what you guys think :)). Maybe MacWorld 2008? Looks like a revision (possibly 3g) is coming for the iPhone around that time, so maybe Apple will upgrade the iPhone to 16gb, and the Touch to 24gb/32gb? If they upgrade it to that for the same price ($400), I'd be buying for sure.

Thanks again!

6. Starman27 macrumors newbie

The Ipod Touch is only a couple months old, there won't be an update for a while. Mac users are getting spoiled by the short-span updates Apple has been issuing. I wouldn't expect any update to the touch until at least this summer.

7. JHKL macrumors newbie

I'd have to agree with the above poster. Apple won't probably do too much with the Touch (save for maybe some capacity upgrades) until the summer or so. Remember that the Touch is (indirectly) competing with the iPhone and you don't want iPhone users going "WTF" when the Touch gets a bunch of new features and the iPhone is left behind. As such, I expect only minor things, that can be applied to both devices, until Apple is ready to release both a new iPhone and iPod Touch. A capacity upgrade, for example, could be easily applied to both the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I gather from hello1111's comments that the iPod Touch's space is the limiting factor of this purchase. Unfortunately, as many people have speculated, the iPod Touch's capacity will almost certainly be upgraded but no-one knows when. As such, I'd say, if 16 GB would suffice for now, then get it. But, if you really think you'll be using more than 16 GB (remember, you need quite a bit of media to fill 16 GB), then you should probably wait. Perhaps you should try converting some TV shows, music, etc... and see how much space it comes to on your Mac/PC...

Just my two cents... :)

8. hello1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions! I appreciate all of your help! I think I'm going to wait about a month (maybe until Macworld '08), just to make sure I don't buy a Touch right before an upgrade.

Thank again for all of the help!

9. Nexxus macrumors member

Reasons for not waiting:
    *most bugs have been fixed for this version
    *You can be enjoying it right now, not a year from now
    *16gb is quite a bit of space. We are all just spoiled by huge HD capacity
    *Larger capacity flash drive could mean higher price point... You never know
    *Did I mention that you could be enjoying it Right NOW???!
    Why put yourself through the agro of the wanting and waiting syndrome.
    Just get it!

10. isshou macrumors member

isshou

I don't think 16GB is a limiting factor, in fact is there was any limiting factor that was the battery but not the storage capacity.

There is nothing you can store in 16GB that you can go through it in one battery charge.

If you can sync every night at home and recharge the battery you don't need a 100% availability of your complete music library.

In fact, from my point of view if you do a proper use of the Play Lists, you don't even need the 16GB, 8GB would be more than enough for most people.

Apple has an answer for every need, but you should set your needs.

The iPod Touch is a nice iPod (like all iPods) but it ha its target market, it is a multimedia iPod with a futuristic interface.

If you need a lot of storage at a reasonable price, the state of the technology points to a HD storage (like iPod Clasic), if you spend a lot of time in public transport and like to watch videos and podcast, go for the touch, however if you want an ipod for jogging and for a bit of every thing get yourself a nano.

Asking yourself what Apple will do in a year time, is the wrong question.
    The right question is: what are your nowadays needs, because .... don't get me wrong but you have to live today, enjoy your life today because you may not be here to see what Apple will be taking out in a year time.

My iPod increase my quality of life, it makes me feel happy, it keeps me going while jogging, it helps me with my Japanese language podcasts, the touch even lets me check up my eBay auctions while out and read/answer my e-mail.

My iPod Touch cost me 365 Euros, that is 1Euro per day during a year. Is that a lot of money? Come on ! I spend more on coffee and it gives me a lot less pleasure and it does not increase my quality of life as much as an iPod does. In one year time, I can simply through it to the dustbin because it will have very well pay up for its service and I will simply buy another one.

Well, I hope it helps you out to make up your mind ! ;)

11. Nexxus macrumors member

Isshou, you are my new hero of logic and reason.

12. asmallchild macrumors regular

That's a dangerous game to play.

Something newer, better, and cheaper is always around the corner. Especially with Apple.

13. hello1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I do buy a touch, it may not be until January anyway...
    @isshou: you made some great points!

Just one thing:
    365 euros? It's $400 US Dollars to buy a 16gb iTouch, and they Euro is at least 1.5 times stronger than the dollar! What's with the price?

14. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

There's always going to be something bigger, better and a lot shinier, but if you end up waiting your could:
    -not like the look
    -think the features weren't worth waiting for
    -wish you wouldn't have waited

I plan on getting a Touch later today and I'm going to Best Buy knowing that there will be a new Touch, but if I end up waiting, there could be nothing about the Touch at Macworld, which could happen. At that point I'll be slamming my head against the nearest desk wishing that I had purchased it when I first wanted it.

All in all, just get it. NOW!

15. Nexxus macrumors member

asmallchild, I agree with newer and better, but not cheaper.

Hello1111, just because the dollar or euro fluctuates does not mean that the price will fluctuate as well. Apple sets the price and the stores are given very little wiggle room.

16. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

hello111

It's called capitalism :(

Well, i bought mine on the internet and got it delivered to my aunt in america and went to florida to collect it.

iPod 8GB: €232
    Trip to florida: €5000
    Laughing at the other idiots who bought it in europe: Priceless.:D:D:D:D

17. mmfy macrumors regular

I'll one-up ya...bought my 8GB online using an old US credit card account, shipped it to a friend who brought it down free of charge :D

TO the thread starter I think isshou says it best - I was going to wait myself until say february after macworld but what's the point? A jailbroken touch is sweet, though I must say the lack of even volume buttons can be quite annoying at times (and here's where the nano wins out during activities like joggin)!