Second time my songs have dissapeared!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by darisk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. darisk macrumors newbie

They definitely aren't deleted. There's about 8 gigs of used space yet it shows as having 0 songs, 0 albums. All the apps are still there and work fine, just no music.

Last time it happened I thought I could have inadvertently done something I shouldn't have, though I doubted it. I connected the iPod Touch to my PC and it didn't show up (though iTunes automatically started, which is how I have it set up), it only showed as "charging". This has happened before so I just unplugged and replugged it. This time it showed up but no content showed up. The bar at the bottom of itunes which shows capacity, which is normally BLUE was now YELLOW (?) and kept syncing to no end. Before unplugging it again I double checked my sync settings to see if they had changed, but they were still set to manual. (NO auto syncing, I prefer to drag and drop). I unplugged it and replugged it again, this time already 60% of the data was missing, capacity bar for songs was still yellow. I decided to let it finish doing whatever it was doing. After that I restored it and started loading up the songs again.

That was then. Now, I swear it happened overnight, though I can't be positive. It was connected to my computer, I disconnected it after that, used some of the apps, woke up this morning and all songs are missing again. I haven't plugged it in to iTunes yet, hoping maybe somehow I can salvage the data that is STILL there, just not visible for some reason.

I'm using iTunes 9 and iPod software v. 3.1.1. I don't think it updated from 3.0 last time, but it definitely updated about 3 days ago.

So to recap:

- Data is there, just "invisible". If I connect to iTunes, there's a 99% chance it will all get deleted.

- No syncing, only manual. It also does not update automatically, nor does it download updates without my consent (which is how I have it set). Nothing of this occurred in the last 2 days. 3 days ago, I updated it to 3.1.1.

- Second time this has happened, this time with even less "mucking about" from my end as last time.

I fear it being a hardware issue, though I can't really imagine how. It's still under warranty for another 2.5 months so that shouldn't be a problem, if it is the case.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've tried rebooting it but it didn't help. Not quite sure what else I could try, short of just restoring it.

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

3. Bighaugs Guest

My 8gb touch had a similar problem yesterday; all my music disappeared all of a sudden. When I connected the iPod to iTunes, it showed that space as still occupied on the touch, even though I couldn't access the library through the touch itself.

A sync restored the library and it seems okay. Fortunately, there's nothing on my touch that isn't also on my iTunes. Still, I'm not excited about spontaneous erasing while I'm on the go.

I'm running OS 3.1.1 with iTunes 9 on a 2G 8gb touch.

4. darisk thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it isn't jailbroken. The sync fix would work, but since I don't use that function, I'd have to sift through my songs again which could take weeks. Maybe this time I should start syncing so if it happens again, I could have a backup.

And if you had the same issue, it sounds like it could most definitely be a software issue. The question is, is it iTunes 9 or OS 3? :confused:

Thanks!

5. ccfoodog macrumors member

This has now happened to me twice with my 64G Touch (not jailbroken).

The touch claims no music and video, but they are still taking up the space.

If I uncheck music, tv and movies, and sync again, I regain my space, then I check them and sync again.

But this is a real pain considering I have over 10GB of audio alone on there.

This is with Vista 64-bit and 9.0.1 iTunes (64-bit), although it happened previously with 9.0 as well.

-john