Second time returning brand new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TorqueMonster, Jun 24, 2009.

1. TorqueMonster macrumors newbie

So tommorrow I take my new unibody macbook pro in for a squeaky "G" key. First time I took it in, the guy at the genius bar took it back and fixed it in a way, now 24 hours later, its back to doing the same thing.

Almost makes me regret getting a Mac now. The machine sounds cheap everytime I hit that damned key :(

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

yes, regret getting a mac for a defective key.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

People are just so picky all the time here. My MBP has a slanted eject key, doesnt bother me at all!! Just break in your keyboard and use it, it will go away.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Are u kidding me? Taking it back for just a key?

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Your right. I think you should return it get a Dell. Dude its a Dell !

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

People spending $1000+ on a laptop should be a little picky. A function key might slide, but not one so close to the home position.

If it wasn't for so many picky people, Apple would probably still be trying to get away with putting crap screens in their lines.

7. ankit macrumors member

I hear you. On my first mbp the whole keyboard was a little lose, and several keys made a wierd squeak. I just didn't feel like using the keyboard. I took it back and the new keyboard is perfect! You might have a hard time convincing the genius to swap the machine for that one key, but they will replace it if you are persistent.

Also, for the record, Dell/IBM are not any better if you are picky about the keyboard. To me, the keyboard is almost more important than the screen that people seem to make a big fuss about.

8. TorqueMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, finally an intelligent response. Squeaky keys and cheap hardware, I should have bought a dell right? heh Apple was awesome enough to replace my machine. I am very pleased.

LOL @ the others saying "I took a machine back for a loud hard to press squeaky key". You bet your arse I took it back, I dont throw around that much cash for defective hardware.

9. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Yea, if you pay this much it should be perfect. Here is an example I have a pair of Beats by Dre headphones by Monster. The ear piece fell off, and I could easily put it back on but why I paid 300 for these. Emailed them and they are sending out a brand new pair when I send these back. That is the kind of service you want when you buy an expensive machine.

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Defective means that it doesn't work.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

:D

So far I've managed to bang a couple of arrow keys into next Tuesday. (I wore 'em out). Even so... this keyboard is 10 times better than the half dozen PC laptops I've used over the years.

12. celtikmind macrumors 6502

Four defective uMBP's. All of them replaced due to build quality.

Now I'm back with a Samsung notebook PC and it impresses me far more in terms of build quality.

Anyone a little knowledgeable in computer hardware today, and not blinded by the Apple logo, know that the Apple hardware is currently crap.

13. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

no, they are not.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nah, if it was really bad people wouldn't buy them.

Actually never mind, I couldn't type that while keeping a straight face.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am going to have to disagree, 100%. You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

Maybe its you? I see all these complaints here about "I had 4 systems die on me", "I had 12 iPhones die on me", blah blah blah blah blah. Well what the h*** are you doing to your systems? I have owned a LOT of Apple hardware (and PC hardware, etc) and I have never had more than a single issue with a single device, with the EXCEPTION of a single Dell laptop that gave me 2 issues. So to these people having multiple issues, I simply blame you. Clearly you are doing something abnormal to compromise the system frequently. Statistically, a high failure rate for a single customer like that makes no sense.

16. jshelton macrumors 6502a

17. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Given that 90% of the benefit of buying a Mac is appearances, I can see why so many people are picky about every tiny little thing.

18. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

I had the same problem with my k key. Just comes off everytime I press on the key.

19. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If you want to get technical, defective actually means imperfect in form or function. A misaligned keyboard key is an imperfection, at least in form (and possibly even in function). All brand image aside, I don't care if you buy a Mac or a PC. Defects are defects and they're not acceptable to a consumer when they're spending hard-earned money on BRAND NEW equipment.

Would you return a pair of name-brand jeans that had a torn pocket you didn't notice when you purchased them? I bet you would. If you bought a $35,000 car, you'd expect to be built to the standards typical of a car in that class. You'd certainly be taking it back to the dealer for a flimsy piece of trim...

But to some of you, those who apply this same universal logic to a computer is simply being a nitpick.

When I custom-ordered a PBG4 several years ago, it arrived with a couple misaligned keys. At the time, it was a $3,500 machine. Did I pass that off as if "s*** happens? Hell no. To the Apple store it went for a keyboard replacement. I'd expect the same thing with an equivalent PC laptop. It's not just appearances I care about, it's overall quality.

20. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

You can't use a torn pocket. You can use a squeaky key.

I mean, unless you like to write in ongoing verb form (i.e. -ing endings) I don't see any real use for the key itself.