Second time to Applecare, not sure what to think.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajsnow6234, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Just wondering what other's experiences were with multiple applecare trips for a single device is. My Macbook Pro, which was only purchased in Apr 2010 is now going back to Apple to have the logic board and top case replaced. The exact same remedy the first time I brought it in about 3 months ago. Initially I had no video whatsoever, couldn't even use target disk mode. Now, much less severe I have no backlit keyboard and no SD reader.

At the Genius bar they attempted to open the back and reseat cables but nothing worked. So now I'm a little annoyed that I'll be without the Mac for a couple days but what I'm more concerned about is that this is the second time this repair is needed. If something like this happens again will they just replace it?

Overall I'm really happy I purchased Applecare. I'm glad I'll get this same level of care for another two years. Nice to see the "bill" for $900 and then walk away.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically 3 visits for the same issue without resolution will tend to get a replacement, but there are variables. Everyone's experience is different. If it happens again, I would certainly press for a replacement and escalate it to the Manager.

3. ajsnow6234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say it's without resolution...because I do leave satisfied with a working MBP. Overall I'm extremely happy with the computer, I just hope to not see this as a trend.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, like MacDawg stated, there wouldn't be much of a trend as generally after 3 substantial issues you may end up walking away with a brand new MBP.

5. ajsnow6234 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can only purchase one applecare per device...meaning you can only extend your original warranty once. But, if you got your iPod for Christmas last year, it may be too late.

*On a side note...I dropped my MBP off last night at about 8pm and got a call this morning at 10am saying the repairs were done. I'm back with it now and happy with it all working plus a new keyboard installed.

6. borisiii macrumors 6502

I also have this - it's called owning an 11" MacBook Air. :D

7. Squadleader macrumors regular

That does su**...Lets us know how it turns out for ya...