Second Wifi Card for Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gbredneck, Nov 17, 2012.

1. gbredneck macrumors member

Oct 11, 2010
    Hi All

I regularly travel, and take my MBA and apple TV with me, some of the hotels i stay at regularly have CAT5 connections which i connect to the MBA, then share out via Mountain Lions internet sharing. Airplay to apple TV works fine.

Also i connect via a small switch and CAT 5 all works ok:

The scenario i keep coming up against is when hotels only have a wireless connection, when i try and airplay to the Apple TV i get an error -6722 with the message "make sure the device is connected and powered on and try again". This only happens when both devices are connected direct to the hotel wireless, which i am guessing means the hotels routers are blocking something along the way.

My hoped for fix is to install a second USB wifi adaptor and have the main card talk to the hotel network, and create a second wifi network using the USB adaptor.

I am struggling to find a mountain lion compatible USB wifi card, do any of you guys have an recommendations?

I dont really want to be carrying around a switch in my laptop bag, which is why i was hoping one of those micro USB wifi adaptors would be compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

Oct 5, 2012