Secondary 27Inch display for 2011 27Inch iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gwelmarten, Nov 14, 2011.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi

I've had a 27Inch 2011 iMac for the last couple of months and am looking at buying a second display for it. The specs of the machine are: 27Inch i7 3.4GHz with 16gb RAM, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD.

I'm looking for a decent quality screen thats 27Inch diagonal (so the same as the iMac) that looks great next to it. Ideally, something where I can change brightness by keyboard control, that starts at the same height as the iMac screen (so they line up). It would need to be the same resolution as the iMac screen (2560x1440). The iMac has Mini-display and Thunderbolt connectors, and I've already got Mini-display to VGA converters etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm in the UK, but I can find most US products on Amazon UK. Clearly from the paragraph above, the only really important thing is the resolution and quality, though I like my desk to look neet, so similar dimensions are preferred.

I've had a look myself, but been bombarded by products - hence the request for a recommendation. My general budget is "as cheap as possible", hence eliminating the Apple option. My main use of the computer is Xcode app development.

Thanks in advance

Sam

2. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

Besides the Apple Thunderbolt display, the newest 27" 2560x1440 monitor is the HP ZR2740w. I believe it's the cheapest as well. It's a brand new display and if it's anything like the 2010 models, it's one of the best in terms of quality and value. The cheapest I've seen it so far is $720 US.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816