Secondary Click on Magic Mouse problem on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blufire080, Dec 19, 2012.

1. blufire080 macrumors newbie

I just got my new 27inch lower end base model iMac yesterday. I used the magic mouse and enabled the right click on it and it worked for a day. I installed some programs and ran bootcamp to set up Windows 7 pro, and my magic mouse's right click won't work anymore! :(

The right click works fine on Windows but not on Apple's OS... I reseted the NVRAM / PRAM but it still doesn't work. (right click on wired mouse works fine though)

Anyone have any ideas? :(

2. jido macrumors regular

Do you have only a mouse? No trackpad?

I'm asking because the settings for both are separate.

3. blufire080 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I only have a magic mouse and the keyboard connected to the mac. I also deleted the windows partition and it didn't do anything either (lol sort of last ditch effort)

4. HGB macrumors newbie

How I got mine to work

I just bought a new IMAC and the right click did not work properly (sometimes it worked other times not) . I went to the Apple store to see if the problem was unique to my mouse, system, etc. It turned out that the problem I had was due to the fact that I am left handed. When I grip the mouse several of my fingers touch the left side of the mouse. This somehow negates the right clicking . By lifting fingers off the left side of the mouse, the problem disappeared. Poor engineering - I have switched to a Logitech mouse.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I'm also left handed and have the exact same issue with the magic mouse, especially when playing games (D3). I need to click on the outer right side of the mouse to have a right button click. It's a bit disappointing.

6. davidra macrumors 6502

And I'm right-handed, and if any part of my hand is touching the right side of the mouse, my left click becomes a right click. Only by making sure no part of your hand or fingers are touching the top of the mouse can you be confident. I was so sure it was a mouse problem that I returned my first one to Apple....and then the replacement did exactly the same thing. I like the mouse, but it's kind of small and it's very difficult to keep large hands off it completely.

7. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

You can try this. Delete the bluetooth preferences plist and shutdown the Mac.

Then remove the batteries from the mouse for about 10 minutes.

Pop them back in but don't switch it on until you get the message on your Mac saying there is no trackpad or mouse connected.

Let it sync and then see what happens. I don't know if this is actually correct but for some reason Windows 7 can claim 'ownership' of the Mouse and it can screw with the settings or stop it syncing properly. I have to do this every time I come out of bootcamp and back into OS X. Have never figured out why but the above suggestion always works for me. Now I just use a regular mouse with Win7.