secondary computer 11in Vs 13in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Baconhall, May 11, 2014.

1. Baconhall macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm college student looking to get a secondary computer. I can either pick up a 13 inch MBA for $522 or a 11inch for $430. Which one should I get ? This will be for just taking notes and surfing the web while I'm at school. Thanks ! Also should I just wait for WWDC before deciding? I am in no rush since this semester is ending soon .

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Depends on wether you like the 11" or 13" screen. Thats all.
    Go to the apple store and try it out.

3. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Ive had a 13in pro, 13in Retina, 11in air, 13in Air and 15in retina and pro.

For College I'd recommend a 13in Pro if you need performance and portability, and if not then I'd recommend the 13in Air.

The 13in Pro has a much better CPU and is upgradable, but a little bit more weight.
    The 13in Air is lighter and has a better resolution for multi tasking, but is non-upgradable.

I would not say an 11in just because the two 13 both offer better battery if I recall.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

None of the current macbooks are upgradable.
    For most college students a pro is a waste of money.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It depends on your what primary needs are, whether you need power or portability more.

Given that you have stated in your OP that this purchase is intended to serve as a second computer, and that you are a college student, I'd recommend the 11".

It is a brilliant little computer - I even used one for a few months as my main computer - and, as a second computer used in an environment where portability matters, there is nothing to beat it. Get one with 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD if you can - it is a fast, powerful and amazingly portable computer.

6. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Why you don't choose the standard MBA 2014 13'' model with 256GB?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Me? I'm not in the market to buy, currently, as I have a 2013 model I am more than satisfied with, the 2013 13" MBA 8 GB RAM, 512 SSD and i7 Core, which is a superb computer, easily the best I have ever had.

The OP posted two models and their price, which suggested the sort of money he was prepared to pay, which, in turn suggest a refurb model, as that would offer the best value, and I offered advice based on this.

8. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I understand.

My point is how usable could be an 8GB RAM model or stay with 4GB RAM for the next 2-3 years (at least) and save some money.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think the advice everyone here gives is that the more RAM the better, especially if you intend to hold onto the computer for more than a year. Paying $100 for a doubling of the RAM (it used to cost more some years ago), strikes me as a good investment, but I understand that some people have costed a new computer down to the last cent and find an extra $100 an expense too far.

This is because whatever is invented, or upgraded, or devised, in a year or two will always be a lot more greedy and demanding of memory than whoever is running on machines now. In turn, this means that a memory system which is perfectly adequate now, may well show sigs of creaking in two or three years.

I remember the debates of around six years ago - when I first joined the forum - 'oh, 2 GB RAM is way better than 1', which in turn gradually turned into the 2 versus 4 debate, and now, of course, the debate is whether 4 GB RAM is adequate (of course it is for current purposes), or whether 8 GB RAM would be better (it will be faster, and will future proof the machine for longer).

10. Mac.User macrumors 6502

They still sell the 13in non-retina pro.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thats the 2012, not the current model.
    Also only the storage and ram are upgradeable, to a small degree.

The storage on all the current models is upgradeable, too.

12. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I am also a student who recently purchased a MBA as a secondary computer. I was unsure which size to get as well. I went in to best buy to look at them and ended up buying an 11 inch because I didn't feel like the 13 inch was a big enough difference in size from my primary computer which is a 15 inch Dell. I'm very happy with the 11 inch as it is extremely light and the screen is definitely big enough for web browsing and word processing. I do wish the 11 inch had an sd card slot but I'm looking into purchasing a low profile USB drive when I get low on space.

13. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

As a second computer, one that won't be doing a lot of heavy lifting, 4MB of RAM is just fine. My post in another thread applies here:

And, the 11" MBA is extremely portable and "carries" very well.

Lou

14. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

11inch is great for portability. I used one whilst traveling for a month last year and it was simply brilliant. But get the 8GB RAM 256GB SSD if you ahv ethat option.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 11" is very small and is a great second computer.

However the limit screen resolution can be annoying at times especially for coding and for photo media work. In terms of performance it is very powerful as long as you don't get the older design.

Not for $430 ;)