Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

46 Bear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Hello everyone!

First off this is my first post on macrumors. I love this site and I have been a mac user for almost 3 years now. I just decided to join the forum. I glad to be apart of this community of Apple users.

I have run into a big issue. My MacBook Late 2008 screen was cracked by an unfortunate incident. I have just received my macbook after 4 weeks in repair. I had a great deal of work to do that couldn't be done because my college doesn't have the newest iLife installed on their computers in the library. Do any of you recommend me purchasing a Macbook Air as a secondary computer? I will be entering into graduate school in the fall upon graduating in May from Miami University and I don't to be up a creek when I have something important to do on the graduate level.

Thanks everyone!

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
That's what I'm using it for (as a secondary computer) and it's great for that task. If you have another computer for the heavy lifting you really can't go wrong getting a Macbook Air as well.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
it's perfect as a secondary computer. That's what i use mine for :) the only downside is it's a little pricey for a secondary computer but if you can afford it, I'll say go for it with no hesitation!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I use a rev B MBA as my primary computer. It seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned because it has a Solid-State Drive. It's a 1.86 GHz model, and a very nice computer. It's definitely the nicest Mac I have ever owned.

I think that some use an original MBA as their secondary computers. However, the revised newer MBAs are plenty capable of being a primary computer for most Mac users. The revised MBA can fly through iLife 09 work. It works well for video editing. I use mine all of the time with Photoshop and Dreamweaver too. Not to mention, HD videos, and all of the usual tasks too.

The original has some overheating issues due to the CPU and graphics. Some use CoolBook to undervolt it to make it a more stable and useable computer. And the video is choppy due to maybe the PATA drive (I think this is why mine was such a poor video performer, but the heat was a bigger part I would guess) and overheating. I guess Apple has tried to use software patches to make up for the problematic components... and it has worked for many original MBA owners.

The revised MBA uses a 45 NM Penryn CPU with 6 MB L2 cache. It has an Nvidia GPU. The PATA has been replaced by SATA-II. It has a Mini Display Port capable of driving up to a 30" Apple Cinema Display. Not to mention 1066 MHz RAM. All of those components have eliminated all of the problems the original MBA had.

For your uses, the original MBA may do the job. Or, you could use a revised MBA as a really nice secondary computer. However, the original MBA is available for $999 refurbished from Apple.com. As a secondary computer, it may work for you. Definitely read about the limitations first, and decide which model would work for you.

Best wishes with your decision whichever route you go.

mshaf

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
I have a refurb MBA rev a 1.6/80HDD. I was very concerned about the limitations folks wrote about this computer (heat issues, slow processing, etc)

It has turned out to be a great primary computer for me. Again, it depends on your uses. I use mine for web surfing mainly, email, and word processing.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have a refurb MBA rev a 1.6/80HDD. I was very concerned about the limitations folks wrote about this computer (heat issues, slow processing, etc)

It has turned out to be a great primary computer for me. Again, it depends on your uses. I use mine for web surfing mainly, email, and word processing.

Glad to hear it's working for you. It sure is pretty amazing to look at - what a beautiful display. For a light user who doesn't require the intensive tasks to heat it up... then it's an affordable way to get a beautiful display, a tiny portable form factor, and yet run Mac OS X.

I definitely know there are people out there happy with their original MBAs... I think the undervolting via CoolBook could be a solution whenever you need it to do some more intensive stuff or video. It sure is a lot less money than it was a year ago, especially these people getting it with an SSD for $1299 at an $1800 discount over what it cost eight months ago.

46 Bear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
I use a rev B MBA as my primary computer. It seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned because it has a Solid-State Drive. It's a 1.86 GHz model, and a very nice computer. It's definitely the nicest Mac I have ever owned.

Just a quick question on that. I take it that you have a great deal of external hard drives to help with the extra space that you would need to do the heavy work that you do with Photoshop. What other additional equipment do you have to help with making it a better computer for your usage?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Just a quick question on that. I take it that you have a great deal of external hard drives to help with the extra space that you would need to do the heavy work that you do with Photoshop. What other additional equipment do you have to help with making it a better computer for your usage?

I only use an external drive connected to my AirPort EDIT [Extreme]. The space I have on my MBA is 128 GB. That is 40 GB short of what I need. However, I put all photos, media, videos, movies, and etc on the external drive... I access it via my MBA and family MBP computer (which is really like the kids computer).

I also have a 24" LED backlit Apple Cinema Display. It serves like a docking station to my MBA (read more about capabilities of new ACD at Apple.com). My MBA runs just like a desktop while plugged into it. I also have the MBA DVD drive.

I absolutely love my MBA. It is much faster than the 2.33 GHz MBP or 2.4 GHz unibody MB I have. The Solid-State Drive really makes the rev B MBA seem fast.

Good luck.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I bought a MacBook as a secondary computer, and since I haven't use the optical drive, nor both of my USB ports, I haven't needed my ethernet, I would assume the Air would have been a perfect computer for me.

Therefore I conclude the MacBook Air is a perfect secondary computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.