Secondary Display at 1440p

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cMotz, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cMotz macrumors newbie

cMotz

I am thinking about buying myself a new late 2013 iMac.

Long story short.

[This Monitor]
    I was thinking about buying this monitor above as a secondary display. I also want to try and utilize the full 1440p. Is the only viable solution the Display Port adapter from Apple or Monoprice (or whereever). It seems like all the reviews on these products are bad. Is there a better solution? Would I be better off just going 1080p and using HDMI or something?

Primary use for the monitor is Adobe suite stuff/website design/etc

Thank you for your time and any input.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

$550 + $100 for a MDP-DLDVI converter is a lot of money for a monitor that gets bad reviews.

I use Dell 2711, ATD, & ACD each at 2560X1440. All have been fine. The Dell is probably close to the cost you are seeing above.

/Jim

3. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Personally, I am not happy with DELL monitors. I could suggest ASUS, EIZO, NEC, IIYAMA IPS monitors at the same resolution (with USB 3.0 some of them and DP) and much cheaper (some of them).

Quality? Similar or even better to the LG IPS monitor in 27'' iMac...

4. omvs macrumors 6502

According to the amazon entry, the monitor has DisplayPort 1.2. So mini-displayport to displayport cable should work without any converters. I have a EQ276W that I've driven this way from a 2011 iMac.

It also claims to have HDMI 1.4, which would support full resolution. Not sure if you can get HDMI 1.4 out of a iMac though.

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

cheapest connection method would be a Mini Display Port to Display port cable.
    I use a 7€ MDP to DP cable to connect my mac mini to a 2560x1600 Dell monitor. Works perfectly.

6. cMotz thread starter macrumors newbie

cMotz

The monitor itself doesn't have bad reviews. I am not sure if you followed any of the links I had posted. My question revolved around the adapters. Those both had really bad reviews. The one directly from apple has like 80% 1 star ratings. Which I wouldn't spend 100 dollars on a gamble like that.

The-Pro:
    So something like this (MDP-DP cable) Should be able to utilize the full 1440p on whatever secondary display I pick?

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Ahhh... in that case it is my mistake. I mis-read your post thinking the bad reviews were for the monitor, not the cables.

I personally have two of the Apple mDP to Dual-link DVI adapters. I was using one with the Dell U2711 at work and the second at home with a 30" HP display that only had DL-DVI inputs. Occasionally (~10%), I would get a "snowy" display during power-up, but a quick pull/re-attach of the mDP cable would remedy it.

/Jim

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

yes exactly that should work.
    And if it dosnt, you didnt pay an arm and a leg for it :D

Be careful with apple MDP to dual link DVI adapter. There is issues when using it with other screen then the apple 30" ACD where you get a "snowy" effect and the colours are all screwed up. You then need to replug it. Very frustrating I had it all the time.
    Bought the 7€ MDP to DP and perfect :D

9. cMotz thread starter macrumors newbie

cMotz

Thank You.

Yeah Apple's product just had so many horrible reviews. Made me super skeptical. :p