Secondary external HDD on iTunes possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alebar14, Jul 4, 2010.

1. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi guys,

I am running my music and movie collection directly from my 1 TB external hard drive via iTunes Media folder location. It's running low now (20 GB left) ,and wondering is it possible for me to add on another external hard drive (say 1.5 TB ) and running them simultaneously? Therefore, I can keep up with my movies and music update. If so, how ?

Thanks heaps for your help.

alebar14

2. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey there. its certainly possible, but would require you to manage the 2nd hard drive yourself. you would store all the movies/music on the new 2nd hard drive - and in iTunes preferences you would decide NOT to import all music. that way the songs wont be copied onto the new hard drive, but will be kept on the 2nd one :)

hows that sound?

4. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry, I am trying to picture your statement given. Did you mean by keeping the music collections on 1st external HDD while moved the watched movie collection onto 2nd external HDD separately (in this case the 2nd external HDD will act as an offline)? Therefore, I could keep and build up more movies on my 1st HDD space and running them on demand?

Cheers,

alebar14

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Couldn't you also go into preferences and then advanced and then uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library"? That would keep the files where they were originally, unless I'm really tired right now and imagining things, which is also possible.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok ill try talk in a way that is interpretable LOL! sorry about that.

ok so basically you have HDD1, this is your current external HDD with all your music. it is nearing capacity.

to add more storage, im suggesting buy HDD2, with TONS of free space. now, in iTunes preferences (that iBook said above ^^) it can copy all music/movies to the directory you specify. currently this is saving to HDD1, its all sorted automatically into neat little files.

with HDD2 you wont have the luxury of sorting files, because iTunes can only sort on 1xhdd at a time. what you want to do for this scenario is put all new movies/music etc into custom made folders on HDD2, UNtick the option iBookG4 specified, then click'n'drag everything into iTunes. this will link (not copy) each item from HDD2 into iTunes, meaning you can virtually expand you capacities ;)

if HDD2 is turned off it wont mean that HDD1 data is uncontactable, just the HDD2 files wont work.

does that make sense?

hahahahahha u must be tired, thats what i originally said. was rushed at work though. ;)

7. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Thanks heaps for your explanation.

This is clear! I will try once I got my new external HDD.

Thanks again mate!

alebar14

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great! goodluck with it! let us know how it goes :)

9. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi mate,

I did what you suggested and presto! it works like a charm!

Thanks heaps! Hey, I would like to ask one thing: You know how Western Digital My Book Essential External HDD doesn't have any power switch (ON/OFF) button instead of their power adapter and USB cable, would this be okay to keep hooking up to my Macbook Pro all the time? Would my external HDD died one day?

Thanks again!
    alebar14

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

AS LONG as the drives are ejected before you power it off, there is no threat damaging the drives :) I'm glad my instructions worked.

11. rblon macrumors newbie

I am trying to do the same, but I am hoping to "Keep iTunes Media folder organized".

The plan is to have all movies on HDD2 (which will generate lots of space on HDD1).

As the movies are stored in "iTunes Music/Movies" I thought i could make a "Movies" folder on HDD2 and put an alias in the "iTunes Music" folder.

Or more precise, I took the following steps
    1) copied all files from "iTunes Music/Movies" to "Movies" on HDD2
    2) renamed "iTunes Music/Movies" to "iTunes Music/tmp"
    3) created a "Movies" alias in "iTunes Music" which points to "Movies" on HDD2

Now before removing "iTunes Music/tmp" I checked in iTunes if this worked fine, but unfortunately iTunes kept track of the movie folder (ie iTunes "knew" movies where now in "iTunes Music/tmp").

Any ideas what steps I should take to get the set-up I want?

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Offhand it sounds like you may have had iTunes running through all of this. If iTunes were running and it were accessing Movies (which it probably does) then renaming the Movies folder would have no affect. I'd bet it would have worked if you deleted (including emptying the Trash) iTunes Music/Movies in step 2 rather than renaming it. iTunes not running, of course.

13. rblon macrumors newbie

Initially I indeed had iTunes running. After I noticed iTunes "kept track" of the movies folder, I also thought I should quit iTunes and do it again. I did that, but the result was the same.
    I am not sure if this makes sense, but it appears that iTunes has the files stored as alias (or link) which the operating system changes when the file location changes.
    My next idea was to remove a movie from iTunes and then adding it so it would be stored in the "iTunes Music/Movies" which points to HDD2. But when adding the file I got an error message.
    So now I have opted for deselecting "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". I have read somewhere, that when I add files (non-movie), I should put them in "iTunes Music" and iTunes will still organise the folder as long as I have selected "Keep iTunes Media folder organised".

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey rblon

if you want to work easily with aliases and not worry about folder formats, or creating the aliases yourself - use Movie2iTunes!

its great! you sort all of the movies (in any format such as mkv, avi, mpeg, swf etc) on your HDD2. then you open up iTunes, open up Movie2iTunes and run the script. it will make aliases for everything :) wonderful.