secondary hard drive has slow read times

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by corro69, Oct 21, 2008.

1. corro69 macrumors newbie

I recemtly purchased a G4 at a local thrift store for $10. After repairing the processor and installing and updating os X 10.4 on a 20g drive I added and additional 100g drive for music and videos. The 20g drive read/write is fine and writing to the 100g works fine also. When attempting to view videos located on the 100g drive, the system hangs. when using itunes it must rebuffer every few seconds.

I have the G4 on a wireless network with the drive shared using samba. if I view the videos on my laptop (running LINUX) reading directly from the drive I do not experience any lag or system lockup. When listening to music over the network there is no rebuffering (a very slight lag when moving to next track but is not an issue for me).

500m processor
    20g HD for OS
    100g HD for media
    Ati Radeon 9000 pro video card
    1.5g RAM
    I have disabled spotlight (noticed errors in the console) and dashboard in attempt to keep resource use as low as possible

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

What format is the video?
    You may need to re-encode it to a less processor intensive format.

Chances are your G4 can't handle it, or is overheating. (Or your processor repair job didn't go too well :p)

Check out Activity Monitor.
    Also download temperature monitor.

3. corro69 thread starter macrumors newbie

The video format has been typically avi and divx. Audio format has been mp3 and wma
    The drive does not seem to be overheating...it had worked in a PC with LINUX and my LINUX laptop reads fine from it over wireless network.

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Ok, so from your original post, you are saying that these videos play fine on your 20 gig drive? (So we can rule out processor speed)

5. corro69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the drive shared out using samba over the network. I can access the drive (both 10+ gigs of Music files and 6+ gigs of video files) with no issues: I can play the videos and music with no delays or hang ups on my laptop that is running LINUX.

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

(I meant playing the files on the Mac from the 20 Gig drive to see if the processor is hindering performance)

Can't think of anything else apart from the slow processor speed or graphics drivers.

Perhaps download the latest Mac drivers from ATI? (And play around with the settings on the ATI displays control panel).