Secondary internal drive in MacBook Pro won't spin down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AmbientChaos, Jun 23, 2014.

1. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

I replaced my MacBook Pro's internal drive with an SSD and used the OWC Data Doubler to put a 750GB WD Black where the optical bay used to be.

I've noticed, however, that the WD Black won't spin down. Even leaving my Mac idle for a long time I can feel it rotating. In Energy Saver "Put hard disks to sleep when possible is checked".

I'm at a loss at what to do here. Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe any hard drive in the optical drive bay won't go to sleep.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think some HDD's can't make use of the command to spin down as others can.

4. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Thanks all for chiming in.

For anyone that's still interested, I timed the spin down time and while it did spin down after 15 minutes (which seemingly ignores the Mavericks default of 10) The drive still does spin down so luckily I avoided having to run scripts to mount and unmount the drive.

However the fact that it was a 7200 RPM drive meant noticeably higher vibration as well as increased temperatures which I thought were both detrimental to my Mac's longevity.

So I've taken to putting the factory drive back in. It spins down as it did before (didn't time), but I can neither hear nor feel it spinning which is good. The 7200 goes in an enclosure now.