secondary iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schonhelm, May 10, 2015.

1. schonhelm macrumors newbie

Hi New to this forum. I recent switched cell carriers and updated from iphone 4s to 5s. I was wondering (because the old iphone is not recognized on itunes through serial number) if I have a wifi, and update the existing apps as they are pushed to the old iphone, is there a way of once they update to purge out the old ones of that version ? (eg. google maps). I know when you sync on itunes with a registered and recognized iphone the app is updated and it automatically flushes out the old app to the recycle bin on my PC . I ask because if the old app is not purged it just takes up extra space on the phone. I guess maybe i'm asking if you can attach an old iphone and sync it from itunes just for the purpose of clearing the space.

2. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie

secondary phone

im guessing there is no workable solution to this problem

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's because no workaround is required? For the most part, old apps are deleted when you upgrade. Assuming you're using an older iOS version though, Google Maps is built into iOS itself (Maps app) so you can't exactly delete it.

4. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie

ios versions are the same and the most current (8.3). One phone is a 4s verizon (no longer my cell phone provider) and the other which i just got is a 5s from AT&T. Is there a way to purge the old app for example google maps when i update google maps on the new phone. The old phone operates now on strictly a WIFi basis and is like using a mini ipad, But because my pc doesnt recognize it anymore as the new one is recognized because the serial # in itunes.
    Thanks for your help and reply

5. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Any apps you have installed yourself can be uninstalled (like google maps) on just the old phone or the new one. There is no link between the new and the old phone.If you want to delete it from the old one you have to do it manually, there's no way to do it automagically when you install/update something on the new one

And iTunes should definitely see both phones (even if one is not acting as a phone anymore)

6. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much appreciate the help I still assume even though both phones should be recognized, i can only sync the one that is actually being used which is the 5s as an actual phone or can you sync both ?

7. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

I don't see any reason for you to not be able to sync to both

8. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie