secondary market for iPhone 3G predictions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xerenthar, Jun 10, 2009.

1. xerenthar macrumors 6502

long story short, i'm using a 2G because my 3G was broken and out of warranty (i got hosed. they claimed water damage because being in a rainstorm shortly after i bought it triggered the sensor. this was many months before it stopped working abruptly.)

not particularly looking forward to a $499 price tag...

anyone think the prices of the 3G, particularly the 16s, will start falling? i'd love to pick one up, but am pretty shocked at the eBay prices.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Those are the subsidized prices, IIRC.

The OP is, I think, discussing unsubsidized prices.

Edit: oops! You edited and reposted in the time it took me to click on the "Quote" button, and I didn't see that you'd edited before I quoted you. I was going off the previous $99/$149 price you'd mentioned.

I don't know what the unsubsidized 3G prices will be. :eek:

4. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Im planning on putting mine on craigslist for 350 and would go down to 300 for the 16gig 3g. Anyone think that is to high or low? Perfect condition with new headphones...

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Hehe yeah, I confused myself reading that he had a 2G iPhone.

I suppose there will be a market for people in your situation. Most are trying to get more money out of their old phones by unlocking them however.

6. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

from AT&T, a 16gb iPhone 3G is either 299 or 399. i just checked an hour ago and was sad.

7. Iron Chef macrumors member

Ive been monitoring the Craigslist market in the San Francisco/San Jose area.

The range is pretty much $300-$400 for used (Depending on if unlocked/jailbroken) and $400-500 for new (also depending on offering unlock/jailbreak)

I just sold mine for $350. I got 18 emails from people over the day, but only 4 people actually responded back to me.

Be wary of some Craigslist buyers. I had a guy trying to convince me to meet him in Downtown San Francisco at 10:30pm. Didn't really feel like having an iKnife shoved in me.

My guess though is that these prices will go down in the days leading to the launch of the iPhone 3GS as many people are not willing to be without a phone. Basic supply and demand principles. Supply is going to be flooded in once the iPhone 3GS is out.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

ebay is a great place to sell, cuz youll get much more money that you should (some people dont know anything. They see iPhone and start throwing cash at it)

but for an informed buyer, ebay is NOT the place to purchase an iPhone. Look to craigslist for the best prices, but BE CAREFUL! It is craigslist, and I dont trust it. Glad Im not on the buying side of things.

Even so, your still looking at 200-300 for a used one in decent condition.

9. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

hopefully there's a flood of people who demand the 3GS and the bottom falls out of pricing!

10. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502