Secondary market iPhone 5 charging cords that are longer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sixxmum, Oct 6, 2012.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I can't get my cord to run behind my desk up to a doc because the cord is so darn short. Do you think that there will be longer cords in the secondary market eventually?

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, there are USB extension cords: 3.3'/1m, 9.8'/3m.

3. neotope macrumors regular

Go to MonoPrice and get a USB extension cable.

4. drakestan macrumors regular

Is there any loss of power using one? Like would it not receive the full amount of power (i'm thinking of getting the 3ft extension)

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The best USB extension cables have gold plated contacts and heavy gauge wire. These will result in less power loss than thinner, cheaper cables.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's rather revealing that every Android phone I've had is supplied with a power cord of very ample length. Conversely every new iPhone I've bought comes with short cords that reminds one of Apple's blatant abuse of their power over the buyers. It's the only company that can get by with this type of thing.

That said I read an article today mentioning just this. They said that because Jobs was worshipped like God, he could get away with far more than what anyone else could. Musing about the future of Apple now that God is gone. Not in the context of survival, but simply questioning how it will change.

Hmmm...

7. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Man, lay off the pipe, that stuff makes you paranoid.

8. wc17 macrumors member

$30+ for a 6 foot cable (whenever apple decides to ship one) or $5 for a 6 foot USB extension....easy choice...

And don't listen to anyone about the loss of power or quickness in charging...if anything you lose a few minutes on a full charge...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=8607&seq=1&format=2

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Actually loss from a cheap cable can easily be 50% of the power to the device. It can make the iPad charger incapable of charging the iPad, not simply slow it down by a few minutes...

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

I've been using one of these with no problems

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

Actually it was this one

Check this out on AMZN: USB 2.0 Extension Cable Type A Male to Type A Female 6 ft, Black http://amzn.com/B00182CIB8

I'm using it now to charge my iphone 5

And I just ordered another

$1.43 & free shipping you can't beat that

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Apple USB keyboards come with an extension cord. If you've bought one in the past you might have an extension cord laying around that you can use for this.

I'm using one now with a lightning cable to charge my iPhone 5 and it works great.

13. Smigit macrumors regular

Personally I prefer a shorter cable. Now days I generally work from a laptop sitting on my desk and the last thing I need is two meters of cable between my laptop and the iPhone that is sitting 20 cm away.

They could ship with a 2m cable, and then it becomes an inconvenience for me and potentially others. Unfortunately it's hard to please everyone. I don't think abusing customers has anything to do with it but.

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It might work, but:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks!
    I honestly had no idea there was any such thing as a USB extension. DOH!

I don't usually charge from my laptop because it only has 2 USB slots and one is occupied with the mouse, and usually the other with an external drive. So, a decent length cable from the surge protector is needed.

16. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thewitt,

If I order a couple from monoprice that are:

- Standard USB Extension Cable
    - USB 2.0 Compliant
    - Gold Plated Connector
    - Backward Compatible with USB 1.0 Standards
    - 3 Feet Long
    - A to A type - Male to Female Connector

Should those be ok?

17. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Don't see why it would matter, but I'm subscribing to find out also.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've always wondered about that. It appears to be a half-assed attempt to keep you from using the USB keyboard extension with anything other than a keyboard, but...

In my experience it's never made anything else difficult to plug in. In fact, it adds a nice amount of friction to the connection which reduces accidental unpluggings.

So I'm not sure what Apple was thinking here. :)

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The way I understand it is that the USB spec does not officially allow for extension cables because at a certain length you run into problems. So Apple artificially restricted the use of theirs to "gurantee" that it would be used with their keyboard and not be too long.

But as you say, you can get it to work just fine, either by removing the bump with some pliers or putting the cable in at an angle.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If someone is gold plating their connector they are generally high quality.

21. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Just ordered a couple from Monoprice. White of course.

22. CatsTide macrumors 6502

I ordered 10 of those...in white. They're great!