Secondary SSD Pictures?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stringerhye, Dec 1, 2010.

1. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

Hey guys, Im thinking about attempting the secondary SSD drive for my 27" iMac and was wondering if anyone had any hi-res pics of the standard Apple installed one so I could see how they do it.

Thanks, guys.

2. MacHamster68, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont know if that helps , but here is a article how to ...install ssd with all original apple parts (not the ssd) with good pictures (click and they get biggger)all the way through the process of installing the ssd without losing optical or harddrive and without using velcro straps or double sided tape or other kind of temporary fixes
    http://www.twam.info/hardware/apple/installing-additional-ssd-in-mid-2010-27-imac

3. elleana macrumors regular

That is way cool. And way scary :eek::eek::eek:

4. nmourtos macrumors newbie

I was actually considering doing this, but you basically have to take every single component off just to add the silly ssd mounting unit. On top of that you have to purchase their ssd mounting kit.

Debating if its even worth it :(

I called my local apple store and asked how much it would cost to add an additional ssd (if i provided the ssd) for my 2010 imac 27" and they claimed they do no such upgrades.

Wish i knew someone locally that performed the install to guide me through it : /

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I did this very thing last week. That article linked above goes waaaaay too far in taking the iMac apart!

Steps:

- Remove RAM.
    - Remove screen.
    - Remove IR thing behind the Apple logo.
    - Disconnect everything from the logic board.
    - Remove logic board.
    - Remove optical drive.
    - Remove existing pressure wall.
    - Add new pressure wall with SSD attached.
    - Replace power cable with new power cable.
    - Connect everything back to the logic board.
    - Replace logic board, IR thing, screen, RAM.

Done!

Still, I'd never do it again. You need surgeon-like dexterity to get all the little connectors out of the logic board and the logic board out then back in the machine without damaging anything! I'd happily pay an Apple Service Provider to do it for me.

6. nmourtos macrumors newbie

My thoughts exactly, if im already paying for the mounting unit and the new cables (something like 50 bucks), why not shell out an additional 100 and save me the headache.

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Or...you could have just bought it that way from the start!

8. MacHamster68, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that are the pleasures of a All In One computer in a unibody case , upgrades are a pain in the @*$*, especially since apple did not want you to upgrade your iMac , the original iMac G5 was as easy to upgrade as any other desktop by just losing 3 screws and lifting of the back and every part was right in front of your eyes ,
    but now even lifting up the glass has the risc to break the glass, the risc to damage the monitor connectors, the risc of damaging the isight camera connectors , ...list goes on as you can read all over this forum with people crying "help i did want to upgrade "whatever" and now the " ???" is broken

still waiting for apple to develop a desktop between the tiny mini , now a unibody too really with all the limitations that come with a unibody and the MacPro ,the mini about double or just triple the size of the old mini should give enough to give room for about 3 pci cards and space for another 2 harddrives, and still be small enough to hide if you dont want it to be seen

9. nmourtos macrumors newbie

Lemme ask you, is there any reason to get the power [Cable, AC/DC Power/Backlight/SATA, SSD] cable, as it just provides the power to the ssd. why not just get a splitter that splits the hd power.