Seconday Screen/Monitor/Display mirroring application needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rednectar, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rednectar macrumors newbie

I'm an instructor. I teach all day long, using the secondary display on my MacBook Pro as the display screen. The problem is, I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so I can't see the secondary display behind me. Now while I'm presenting slides, I usually don't have a problem, I can use "presenter view" to see the slides. But the moment I want to show an application, or display a web site on the secondary screen I have to turn my head around (which is unforgivable in a class, especially if you speak at the same time) to see the screen.

I need an application that "mirrors" in a window, the contents of the secondary display/screen/monitor.

In my pre-macintosh days, I could use Ultra-mon, but they don't have a Macintosh version. I asked.

Is there a Mac application that will allow me to do this? I'd love to buy it if it is out there.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why can't you just mirror the MBP screen in System Preferences? That way, the secondary display is an exact replica of your MBP screen. Pixel for pixel.

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I currently do not have a mdp dongle, so I can't test this, but I think that if you put the display preferences in the menu bar, if two monitors are detected, it should allow you to switch between mirrored and extended from the menu bar. If not, well, you could go to display settings in sys prefs, and just minimize when not in use.

4. rednectar thread starter macrumors newbie

More Info:

I should have mentioned that my primary display is 1920x1200. The secondary display is typically 1024x768. I've found that if I keep switching between "Turn on Mirroring" and "Turn off Mirroring" from display preferences (which is what I do sometimes) then all of my window sizes get screwed up (reduced to 1024x768) and at times windows seem to disappear or re-appear on a different screen than used previously.

Besides, that's not really what I want to do - I want my screen in front on me to be private (I don't want the students to see my Facebook page) and the secondary monitor contents to be visible on my main screen in a window.

So I'm still willing to pay money for that app!

5. pkson macrumors regular

oh man, I have the exact same problem you do.

I was searching for a solution, and I cam across this thread... I thought the answer was here, but not yet, huh?

I'll keep looking around, and if I get it, I'll let you know.

Here's what I have so far:
    I can sync my iPad to the whiteboard app over wifi (or, if I don't have wifi, just make a network with my mbp) and sync the whiteboards so they collaborate, and I have a whiteboard to write on.

But as for having a smaller window to mirror the secondary screen, I'm still lost. I'll keep looking for one.

Take care!