Secondhand Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cupcake86, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cupcake86 macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi guys

I'm new to this forum and to macs in general and was wondering if you could help me.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop - I'm studying (humanities) so use it for word processing, browsing and some limited indesign, etc. I take the laptop to uni and the library, etc. so portability is an issue. I've just been offered a couple of secondhand laptops and am not sure which one is better/the better deal? I guess I'm concerned that the Pro is quite old and perhaps getting towards the end of its life?

* MacBook Pro 15", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Disk,
    SuperDrive, Bluetooth, Airport, Mac OS X 10.4 inc iLife 06. Model # A1211 (Late 2006) - $660

* MacBook Air w SuperDrive (original release with the 64GB solid state hard disk) - $1100

Thanks in advance x
  2. combat macrumors member

Dec 13, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    If you are looking for portability and good price, then maybe you should buy on of the newer polycarbonate ones. A new Macbook (not pro) would have much better specs, battery/computer life, and would not be that more expensive. And (drum roll) Snow Leopard! Tiger is awesome, however I personally think buying a newer computer would be better.

However, if you are limited to those two, I'm thinking the Air is best for your needs.
  3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2008
  4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2004
    that mba is too much... totally NOT worth the 1100 since its painfully slow. i mean painfully. I went from rev A mba, to rev b mba, and now a 13 mbp. if you are willing to spend close to 1100 for a computer, then I would definitely recomment getting a refurbished 13in mbp or a student discounted macbook from apple $950, i think.

being in school myself you will LOVE i mean LOVE the battery life in the current macbook and current macbook pros. its insane. i do have an anti-glare screen on my mbp though... that's the only bad thing is the glare. I can literally go to the library for 7 hours, lower the screen brightness to 3/4, intermittent wifi use and I get 7 hours. its seriously a marathoner. I've seen the 2.26 ghz mbp 13in in the apple refurbished store for about 950. I think its worth it if you prefer the alluminum... The white cases tend to attract dirt on the palm rest.
  5. Frankae macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2009
    I was able to get a 3 week old Macbook Air Rev C 1.86 GHz locally for $1100 CDN ~ $1040 USD

In my opinion, it's a great deal for a 99% new computer with more than 330 days of warranty left. It's pretty snappy, and easily comparable to my Late 2006 MBP 15". Half the weight really helps and I never used the DVD drive on my MBP anyways. Love it so far!
  6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2008
    Check out the refurb store...they have awesome deals sometimes. If you are willing to spend $1100 then buy a new MB/MBP in the same price instead of a used one (refurb is like get full warranty and everything)