"Secret" features of the iPhone home button

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
David Pogue is a fraud
I've read a couple of his articles and they are full of idiotic mistakes.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It's from yahoo... I hate when yahoo does tech cuz they are so stupid. Like when they say a secret feature of the iPhone is it can unlock your phone. Um...that's kinda the major selling point!

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Better to just remove link to article. Copy and paste the body of the article here so people can still read it. Because I bet the purpose of it was just for click bait. Why give them ad impressions.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
...I guess if that's the level of knowledge needed to be a tech reporter for a billion-dollar company we're all geniuses...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Actually, while I think it's an incredibly obvious article I think it might have also helped me figure out why my co-worker's 4S keeps zooming in on the lock screen. I wonder if he accidentally enabled the "zoom" accessibility shortcut. I didn't even realize there were more than the original three.

Its more the headline of the article that is ridiculous. If it was simply billed as a list of all the things the home button does, it wouldn't be as idiotic. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who have no idea about a couple of those - namely the triple click.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Its more the headline of the article that is ridiculous. If it was simply billed as a list of all the things the home button does, it wouldn't be as idiotic. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who have no idea about a couple of those - namely the triple click.
Absolutely. It's not like Apple provides a user's guide so these gestures do very much seem secret. Remember, David Pogue is writing for a very broad audience, not the MacRumors segment. I have family members who frustrate me to no end with their basic iOS questions, but they don't spend nearly as much time as I do tinkering with their phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Plenty of typical iOS users don't know some of those things.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This doesn't make them secret features
But "secret" would make more of them more likely to be interested in actually clicking on the article and reading it. And to that group of users things that aren't immediately obvious or have to be found in some manual can be considered as "secret" in some sense.

By the way, at least in its current form, neither the article's headline/title nor its content seem to contain "secret" anywhere (the only thing that seems to have it is its URL).

Last edited:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
"Secret" features of the iPhone home button

I was expecting to find the cure to cancer based on the thread title. But nope.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Better to just remove link to article. Copy and paste the body of the article here so people can still read it. Because I bet the purpose of it was just for click bait. Why give them ad impressions.
Not that I am on that guys side.. but Copyright?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Aren't these the basics that everyone should already know about the Home button?
Exactly. Nothing earth-shattering here. Even my dad, who's 60 and technically inept, knows all these features and no, I didn't teach him.

Though, the first first "secret" feature, I have got to admit is the biggest "DUH" ever.