"Secret" Intel Processors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quantum003, Apr 15, 2010.

1. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Sorry if this is out of place, but I don't want to join a different site when I know someone in here probably knows the answer.

I live near an Intel plant, and a few years back I came across a very interesting garage sale. I wound up leaving the sale with a huge box of computer components that were so cheap that I didn't even need to look at them before buying them all. When I got home later I realized practically all of them were somewhat crude and were clearly labeled "reference" boards (these are motherboards and video cards mostly). There were also a number of processors in there, but to be honest I forgot all about them until tonight, when I was looking for an Intel processor that I might plug into a Mac Mini... anyway now that I actually look more closely at these, I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Do they look like standard processors to you? I'm not super-familiar with Intel processors like these, but shouldn't they have longer pins? Also, when I busted out the magnifying glass and saw that some of them even have "Secret" printed on them, I realized I was in over my head and thought I would inquire if someone else might have some idea of exactly what they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smaller ones *look* like Core Duos and are labeled 2004 but the rest of the printing is way too tiny for me to make out. The larger ones say 2003.

Thanks for any information at all. These things have me really curious. :)

2. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Maybe Intel ran out of those older x86 processors used in GMA's, and 1rst generation Core Duo's are the new hearts of their next-gen GPU's?

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

My speculation - if there's anything "secret" about them its the fact that they could have been/were engineering samples.

Maybe see if they run? I wish I could help more in this department, but I'm not too familiar with stuff before 2005... :eek:

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Engineering samples seem likely.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Processors these days don't have pins that can be bent anymore. The socket has what could be thought of more as pins and it grabs on to points on the underside of the CPU.

Sockets M (478) used in the Mac Mini still used pins on the processor (FCPGA - flip chip pin grid array) whereas Core i7 chips don't have pins (FCLGA - flip chip lang grid array).

I don't know what's used on those chips but if I had to hazard a guess, they're meant to be solder on processors - like those used in Apple's laptops and new Mac Minis.

I'd strongly suggest you post some pics of these processors over on the Xtreme Systems forums. They know what they're talking about in there in terms of CPUs. If anyone outside of Intel can tell you what you've got, some of the guys on there will be able to.

6. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Thanks for your posts, guys. I appreciate the help very much...

Spanky, as usual you're a wealth of helpful information. :)

I think you're right- these guys were intended to be soldered to logic boards, not popped in and out. Their appearance definitely seems to support that hypothesis, good call...

And thanks for the link to the other forums... I will do as you suggest and post these images over there too. And just in case you're curious, I have a couple of shots of the "reference board" mobos and video cards... I'll post them in a few minutes here as well. I'd love to get one of these mobos working... I've gotten very close but not quite... and the video cards are a total mystery.

Thanks again all. :)

7. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

There are several different mobos, but here's the one I find most interesting. Look at all those jumper pins... everywhere you look. I've never in my life seen that many pins on a mobo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one of the video cards. Looks to me like VGA / some variation of SCSI, and a pair of 8 or 9-pin DIN (don't recall off the top of my head and the photo is too dark; sorry). I assume at least one of them is that 8-pin Apple Desktop Bus (ADB)? But then that NTSC/PAL jumper pin immediately screams video capture to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANY insights/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. :)

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I don't know what they are but the amount of jumpers doesn't seem to be out of place. Some boards just have a lot. Especially since it is a reference board.

Can you get it running? If the CPU fits on the board, snap it in and pop some ram in and hook it up! See what happens.

By chance is that your board?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20030410162603.html

9. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Holy smokes... you've got an eye my friend. That is the board no doubt about it...

I was actually wrong when I posted those photos earlier, the board I posted pics of is one the boards I haven't tried out yet. I came across the board that I have tinkered with, probably the nicest of the set. This other one's got a flip-chip processor slot so I assume it's a nicer board but obviously I'm no expert. You clearly are though Jason... I can't believe you ID'd the first board that easily.

I managed to get the power to turn on briefly, the CPU fan to spin once and then... nothing. I took pics of this other board as well, I'll post them as soon as I have a chance.