Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I received a replacement iPhone 6 today due to technical defect.

To the point, when I "restore from backup," I am not getting my app layout carried over from my backup earlier today.

What is the secret to ensuring you get your app layout restored correctly? In the past, it has been hit or miss for me.

Thank you.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I received a replacement iPhone 6 today due to technical defect.

To the point, when I "restore from backup," I am not getting my app layout carried over from my backup earlier today.

What is the secret to ensuring you get your app layout restored correctly? In the past, it has been hit or miss for me.

Thank you.

I normally restore from iCloud and there aren't any issues. Did you restore from iCloud or local iTunes backup?

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
To be honest if I backup from my MBP, all settings and data move across its all the same layout and everything. I'm a little bit confused on how the backup from your computer hasn't done that. Maybe you didn't backup all the apps from before?

Reactions: geekymcfly

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks all. Yes, I use iTunes Backup rather than iCloud since I am old school, using iOS so long never got into the iCloud backups.

I had full backup, absolutely, but it was just cramming all the apps on pages in no layouts, it kept my folders, but I don't have many folders.

I found an article from Macrumors. I had to right click on the device and select "Restore from backup," instead of using the main phone's own iTunes page's "restore from backup." Same settings, but somehow different? Very strange indeed, but for whatever reason, it worked. The apps are now arranged correctly.

Now, I must fix my music, its settings didn't copy over, but that is an easy fix.

Thanks again!

Reactions: keysofanxiety

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never incurred a problem when restoring a backup on my phone, perhaps I always selected from iTunes as mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.