Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
errr.... i wasn't aware that people were embarrassed enough by their own tastes that they sought to hide them.

are there lots of people like this?

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Only my wife knows that I frequently listen to the original Rex Harrison/Julie Andrews version of My Fair Lady...

walkerIV

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I tried to listen to my russian music collection at work in Canada while back. People kept asking why do they sound so angry, while to me they weren't. Now I try not to listen to them with others around, so not to be known as the grumpy type.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm proud of all the music I listen to, which is quite the variety - I don't really care what other people think, so I'l play whatever I want, whenever I feel like it, any time! Can't say I'm embarrassed of any of my music... :cool:

gMac

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
Charleston, SC
errr.... i wasn't aware that people were embarrassed enough by their own tastes that they sought to hide them.

I'm not embarrassed about my musical tastes, but I know most people might not care for what I like, so I usually don't play those artists while others are present. I also don't serve liver and onions or haggis at a dinner party. It's just a matter of respect. ;)

That said, some of the artists that I listen to who might not be popular with many are: Gordon Lightfoot, The Cars, Warren Zevon, The Talking Heads, The Hollies, The Police, and Lyle Lovett, to name a few.

And yes, I am an Old Fart! :D

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
~Shard~ said:
I'm proud of all the music I listen to, which is quite the variety - I don't really care what other people think, so I'l play whatever I want, whenever I feel like it, any time! Can't say I'm embarrassed of any of my music... :cool:
People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have
people think they don't care what people think. ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I listen to some music that heaps of people I know find offensive because it's not mainstream - it's Arabic. Once, when I was listening to it in public, someone came up to me and asked if I was going to run into a crowd with a bomb strapped to my chest! :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Steely Dan... my occasional guilty pleasures. :eek:

(Shouldn't this be in the music forum?)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Although there are some songs I'm a bit embarresed about liking, I'm still able and willing to play whatever's in my iTunes library to whoever wants (or are accidently forced) to listen... ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
sjpetry said:
People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have
people think they don't care what people think. ;)

And then there are people who attempt to come up with witty quips to try and make themselves sound philosophical when in fact they just spewing nonsense. :p ;)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
haha, so true

yeah I had some music in my library that was kinda emo'ish, my girlfriend ,at the time, went on my comp and found some of it, and even worse, I did a I love the 90's spoof for a class, so I had all kinds of stuff (from hanson to backstreet) in my library, she didn't believe me that I didn't listen to it. errrrr.... still my most embarrassing moment with a girl yet. just glad she didn't tell my firends (or I hope she didn't). I deleted about a 1000 songs after that, some i regret deleting.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Dolly

I'll admit it - Dolly Parton is my guilty pleasure. She's the one good memory from my childhood. Sometimes the internal beauty of the person behind the beautiful voice is more important than the music itself. All of my old tapes have been recorded to my Mac, to CD, back to iTunes (once I went to OSX), but none of them made it into my "Work" playlis, except The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, which is just too fun to avoid during the work day. :)

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
gMac said:
...That said, some of the artists that I listen to who might not be popular with many are: Gordon Lightfoot, The Cars, Warren Zevon, The Talking Heads, The Hollies, The Police, and Lyle Lovett, to name a few.

And yes, I am an Old Fart! :D

Funny you think those artists would be unpopular with many - I like all of them! I haven't delved too deep into G. Lightfoot, but who could have anything against "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "Sundown"?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Hm.

I usually shield my girlfriend's delicate ears from ICP and MC Chris. Other than that, no. My housemates think I'm some kind of... well, yeah. I don't hide my tastes from anyone, in any facet of life.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
stevietheb said:
Only my wife knows that I frequently listen to the original Rex Harrison/Julie Andrews version of My Fair Lady...

Yeah... me too. And Fiddler on the Roof.

God I love musicals. That's why I try to avoid them. Last thing I need is _another_ musical to love.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
As an accordion player, I've developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism of my musical tastes. :cool: I'm always surprised at how many people share my love for a tragically "uncool" song or artist that I might be listening to. Just last week, I was rocking out to The Final Countdown in my office, and by the end of the song four people had come in to listen. I ended up burning a cd for each of them.

Celebrate your secret shame!

PS - The original cast recording of Fiddler on the Roof is one of the best Broadway albums ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.