Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
In my travels to optimizing things on OS X for PowerPC Mac I often run across things that don't get a lot of attention. One of those is the Secrets System Preference Pane.

I tracked this down at one point and I use it on all my Macs. Essentially it allows you to set just about every single option that Apple has put into OS X and many of the major Apple apps.

I've only used it on Leopard so I have no idea if it works on Tiger or not. But I never hear any talk about it around here so I thought I'd share it.

Please be careful. There are some options in here that can really screw up your system. I've had it freeze on me before. I take no responsibility for any damage you may cause.

But check it out though, you may find it interesting.

Dropbox

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It does not work on Tiger, but it does work on 10.6+. The only sad thing about it is that it got forgotten after the release of Lion and it doesn't get very many new things in it.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
I just tested this with OS X 10.5.8, it's really useful - it pretty much does the same as TinkerTool / OnyX, but it's much more convenient as it's permanently installed in the System Preferences app and can tweak the hidden settings of many more applications.

Thanks for sharing!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I just tested this with OS X 10.5.8, it's really useful - it pretty much does the same as TinkerTool / OnyX, but it's much more convenient as it's permanently installed in the System Preferences app and can tweak the hidden settings of many more applications.

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, it's really useful. Quick access to a lot of hidden things and stuff buried in menus in other apps (like the ones you mentioned).

I just thought it odd it was never really mentioned around here. I've been using it for quite some time (on Leopard) so that's why I decided to post it up.

Glad people are getting some use out of it.

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
In my travels to optimizing things on OS X for PowerPC Mac I often run across things that don't get a lot of attention. One of those is the Secrets System Preference Pane.

I tracked this down at one point and I use it on all my Macs. Essentially it allows you to set just about every single option that Apple has put into OS X and many of the major Apple apps.

I've only used it on Leopard so I have no idea if it works on Tiger or not. But I never hear any talk about it around here so I thought I'd share it.

Please be careful. There are some options in here that can really screw up your system. I've had it freeze on me before. I take no responsibility for any damage you may cause.

Dropbox

Alright, this is the COOLEST prefpane I have ever seen. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Alright, this is the COOLEST prefpane I have ever seen. :p
Yeah, I was pretty amazed when I found it. I had to hunt for this thing hard. It was mentioned in some tip for something else I was looking for at the time and I didn't realize then it was a preference pane. Once I got that figured out it was easier to find.

Here is the website if anyone is interested. You can still download it from them, but I put it up here in case they ever disappear.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

Dropbox

Wow this is crazy, and useful, but is it really apples thing? how did you find it, it didn't seem like an apple thing with the warning etc.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wow this is crazy, and useful, but is it really apples thing? how did you find it, it didn't seem like an apple thing with the warning etc.

The pref pane is a third party pane the aggregates and displays the hidden and advanced settings that Apple has built into Mac OS X.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I've had secrets for a long time. Although I use it heavily to optimize my 1ghz PBG4, I only use it for saving screenshots as jpg on the 1,67HR PBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.